cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am sadistic.

I LOVE watching people find out that their stuff is worthless or a bad imitation.

There was one guy who rolls in with this insanely valuable baseball card collection.....stuff from the 40s and 50s...old Yankee cards, etc...

The guy was all proud of how he had put them in nice large frames and mounted each individual card to this really fancy felt posterboard stuff.

The appraiser was building this guy up, telling him how rad all his cards were, how rare some of them were, etc. The guy was clearly getting amped up, embellishing on how his dad and grandfather passed the cards down to him as an heirloom.

Then the appraiser tells the guy that he basically was an a-hole for putting glue all over each corner of every baseball card, thereby ruining the back of all the cards and making some of the stats and info unreadable.

The guy tried to hedge and explain that the glue was "water soluble."

The appraiser told him that had he not had an Elmer'sgasm all over his vintage card collection, he would be looking at upwards of $200K. But since he soaked his grandfather's childhood memorabilia in Barbaro juice, the cards were worth maybe $3-5K.

I distinctly remember having a good laugh over that dude's boneheaded misfortune.

Then I went outside and tripped some old people walking by and threw a rock at an ambulance....

I agree completely. I love the stories where some smug know-it-all brings in some antique furntiure piece that he bought at a "bargain" for a few thousand bucks and the expert proceeds to show him all the reasons it is an obviosu reproduction and worth less than a used Ikea bookcase. I don't watch the show as often as I used to, however becasue it seems like they do this sort of thing less and less frequently.