cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Can someone help me understand why the entire Astana team was asked to leave the tour while other teams of doping riders are allowed to stay?
I am not sure they were all asked to leave, although thye may have been. Astana was not supposed to be in the tour, as they had not quslified under the pro tour criterias (if I recall correctly) and were added as a wild card team. The invitation was extended witht he understanding that thye were drug free and were riding clean, despite Vino's association with ferrari, and the other drug rumours surrounding the team. When team leader Vino tests positive in such a flagrant manner, I think the team was withdrawn to minimize the PR damage to the tour and to minimize the likelihood that the whole team would be n=banned from future events. It was not required.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #32
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am not sure they were all asked to leave, although thye may have been. Astana was not supposed to be in the tour, as they had not quslified under the pro tour criterias (if I recall correctly) and were added as a wild card team. The invitation was extended witht he understanding that thye were drug free and were riding clean, despite Vino's association with ferrari, and the other drug rumours surrounding the team. When team leader Vino tests positive in such a flagrant manner, I think the team was withdrawn to minimize the PR damage to the tour and to minimize the likelihood that the whole team would be n=banned from future events. It was not required.
The same standard applied today with Cofidis in which they accepted an "invitation" to withdraw the entire team from the tour. They weren't specifically booted from the tour, but were politely asked to not let the door hit them on the way out.

But I think I found the answer to my original question. I had forgotten that Sinkewitz (sp?) positive test occured before the tour, thus not affecting the team's current position in the peleton.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #33
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
The same standard applied today with Cofidis in which they accepted an "invitation" to withdraw the entire team from the tour. They weren't specifically booted from the tour, but were politely asked to not let the door hit them on the way out.

But I think I found the answer to my original question. I had forgotten that Sinkewitz (sp?) positive test occured before the tour, thus not affecting the team's current position in the peleton.
FTR, L'Equipe is making abig distinction between Cofidis and Astana, saying Astana was aksed to leave whereas Cofidis voluntarily withdrew. Not sure I buy it, but with such little dignity I guess the French hoarde what thye can.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
FTR, L'Equipe is making abig distinction between Cofidis and Astana, saying Astana was aksed to leave whereas Cofidis voluntarily withdrew. Not sure I buy it, but with such little dignity I guess the French hoarde what thye can.
How are the French going to respond with one Spanish Speaker and two English speakers on the podium in Paris?

We'll have a Spaniard, an American (as usual), and an Aussie. Awesome, eh?

Where are the mighty French?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #35
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
How are the French going to respond with one Spanish Speaker and two English speakers on the podium in Paris?

We'll have a Spaniard, an American (as usual), and an Aussie. Awesome, eh?

Where are the mighty French?
At least the winner will be Euro. I don't think they have a problem with these top three.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 AM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
At least the winner will be Euro. I don't think they have a problem with these top three.
Yet.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #37
creekster

Back to the original thread topic: I read today that Vino tested positive after both of his stage wins, both times for homologous doping. This menas that either the test is bad (this is a french lab, after all) or that we already have a confirmation of sorts that he did, in fact, transfuse someone else's blood. Of course, this does make you wonder why he cracked so badly afdter the ITT, but my guess (and it is only a guess) is that even with more blood cells, you still need some recovery time for muscles after such an extraoridnary effort.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:53 AM   #38
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Back to the original thread topic: I read today that Vino tested positive after both of his stage wins, both times for homologous doping. This menas that either the test is bad (this is a french lab, after all) or that we already have a confirmation of sorts that he did, in fact, transfuse someone else's blood. Of course, this does make you wonder why he cracked so badly afdter the ITT, but my guess (and it is only a guess) is that even with more blood cells, you still need some recovery time for muscles after such an extraoridnary effort.
I agree with your last statement. The added RBCs will only increase oxygen carrying capacity, but if the muscles are cooked like they would be after a tough TT, they still need that recovery day afterward.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote