cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road
Default Is it too early to start thinking about Fantasy Football?

I played Fantasy Football in a league at work last year. It was the first time I had ever played. I had avoided playing in previous years because I thought FF was only for completely dorky sports nerds. When I finally decided to play it turned out to be surprisingly fun and made the NFL season much more interesting. Now, I'm totally stoked for this coming season.

Was the CG league any good last year? Who is going to play this year?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

We had a decent league, despite having a couple of guys that didn't touch their team after week 1. Who won last year anyway? I'm thinking it was one of the Northern Virginia boys, but I may be mistaken.

Either way, the Utes were very well represented, so BFM if you're going to play with the CG league we need to really need you to bring it this year. Bring back the trophy to cougartown.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Could someone kindly tell me the appeal of fantasy sports leagues?

I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys playing fantasy sports. I've just never had the desire to participate for two reasons:

It seems that it would cause one to not follow any particular team, but to follow players from several teams.

Most of the folks that I know who play are those who never played a sport.

So, what's the big deal?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 AM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys playing fantasy sports. I've just never had the desire to participate for two reasons:

It seems that it would cause one to not follow any particular team, but to follow players from several teams.

So, what's the big deal?
I like it because it makes meaningless games meaningful to me. For example I would never care about an Arizona Cardinals vs. San Francisco 49ers game unless I had a player on one of those teams playing. Plus it creates interesting inner turmoil. Like when I have a fantasy player playing against my team. So I end up hoping that player has a huge game but not so big that my team loses. However, being that I am a Raiders fan, my team loses. A lot.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'd be interested in playing in a CG league.

And no it's not too early to start thinking about it... Yahoo has been sending me e-mails about being able to join leagues already.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
BigFatMeanie

Quote:

So, what's the big deal?
As I previously stated, I thought FF would be lame but was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it for the following reasons:

- SLC isn't an NFL town so I've never really had a favorite NFL team (example: my current favorite team is the Dophins because of John Beck). Thus, FF made the NFL season much more interesting to me
- The stats/management side of it caters to my geek nature. I like to plan, analyze, scheme, etc. and FF offers plenty of opportunity for that. Of course, there are people that don't do much with their team after the draft
- Competing against the guys at work was fun. In that respect it doesn't matter whether it is FF, chair racing, magnet throwing, whatever - I'm going to try and compete against the guys at work. There's nothing better than coming in on Monday morning and gloating to your colleague whose butt you just kicked - especially after he ran smack all week long before the games.
- I enjoyed learning more about players/teams/coaches/strategy than I otherwise knew. I learned about "running back by committee" (bad if one of those RBs is on your FF team), which players are most injury-prone, the fact that after Peyton Manning there isn't much difference in the next 12 QBs in the league, etc. It brought the NFL more to life.

Anyway, that is why I enjoyed playing it. If you haven't played FF before you ought to play it this season.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

So, what's the big deal?
I've been in a league with some old friends for the past five years. We never get too serious and it's a great way to keep in contact with friends in different areas. Last year my team was comprised solely of Cincinnati Bengals and former BYU players. My teams are regularly the worst in the league, but best in trash talk.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 AM   #8
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
As I previously stated, I thought FF would be lame but was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it for the following reasons:

- SLC isn't an NFL town so I've never really had a favorite NFL team (example: my current favorite team is the Dophins because of John Beck). Thus, FF made the NFL season much more interesting to me
- The stats/management side of it caters to my geek nature. I like to plan, analyze, scheme, etc. and FF offers plenty of opportunity for that. Of course, there are people that don't do much with their team after the draft
- Competing against the guys at work was fun. In that respect it doesn't matter whether it is FF, chair racing, magnet throwing, whatever - I'm going to try and compete against the guys at work. There's nothing better than coming in on Monday morning and gloating to your colleague whose butt you just kicked - especially after he ran smack all week long before the games.
- I enjoyed learning more about players/teams/coaches/strategy than I otherwise knew. I learned about "running back by committee" (bad if one of those RBs is on your FF team), which players are most injury-prone, the fact that after Peyton Manning there isn't much difference in the next 12 QBs in the league, etc. It brought the NFL more to life.

Anyway, that is why I enjoyed playing it. If you haven't played FF before you ought to play it this season.
By the way, we also played fantasy NBA basketball this year but it sucked. The day-to-day nature of the NBA made management a big hassle. Football's one-day-a-week timetable is just ideally suited to fantasy. I have no interest in ever playing NBA again.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a run away victory for the Fightin Feathers...I think i only lost twice during the season.

Rumors persist that Waters ran Ohioblue off, but I'm pretty sure it was my fantasy football team slapping his around in the playoffs that sent him packing for good.