cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road
Default Annoying Cyclists

Over the holiday weekend, I was driving home from a relative's house. I ended up behind a cyclist, riding in the same direction I was going in.

I had no problems with him being where he was, and passed him carefully.

My issues came when:

1. He blew through a four-way stop without even slowing down, re-passing me.
2. The road narrowed down immediately after the four-way, with oncoming traffic making it impossible for me to pass him again.
3. Once the road widened again, instead of staying on the right-hand side of the road, the guy rode in the middle of the lane, making it impossible for me to pass without going into the lane for oncoming traffic (keep in mind, this road is easily wide enough for two lanes in each direction - the cyclist could have ridden five feet from the sidewalk/curb, and I could have passed him with a good five feet clearance between him & my car).

I have absolutely no problem with cyclists sharing the road with me. I try hard to drive as carefully as possible when passing them, and try hard to be respectful of their right to be on the road. I don't feel I'm out of line in expecting the same consideration in return.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Over the holiday weekend, I was driving home from a relative's house. I ended up behind a cyclist, riding in the same direction I was going in.

I had no problems with him being where he was, and passed him carefully.

My issues came when:

1. He blew through a four-way stop without even slowing down, re-passing me.
2. The road narrowed down immediately after the four-way, with oncoming traffic making it impossible for me to pass him again.
3. Once the road widened again, instead of staying on the right-hand side of the road, the guy rode in the middle of the lane, making it impossible for me to pass without going into the lane for oncoming traffic (keep in mind, this road is easily wide enough for two lanes in each direction - the cyclist could have ridden five feet from the sidewalk/curb, and I could have passed him with a good five feet clearance between him & my car).

I have absolutely no problem with cyclists sharing the road with me. I try hard to drive as carefully as possible when passing them, and try hard to be respectful of their right to be on the road. I don't feel I'm out of line in expecting the same consideration in return.
I was going to do a reverse post but thought better of it. To tell you the truth, the only part that bothers me is blowing through the stop sign. That's bad form, annoys drivers like you, is illegal (I once got a ticket for doing it, btw) and is unsafe. Otherwesie, he was well within his rights even if annoying and how many times are you annoyed by some stupid car driver on the road? It happens.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I have a friend that I ride with maybe a couple of times a year and every time we ride he has a tendency to ride in the middle because as he tells me "we have as much right as the cars do". I just think to myself "dude you're going to die one day exercising that right".

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I have a friend that I ride with maybe a couple of times a year and every time we ride he has a tendency to ride in the middle because as he tells me "we have as much right as the cars do". I just think to myself "dude you're going to die one day exercising that right".
On several bike fourms I visit from time to time (see phred.org) the issue of "taking the lane" is hotly debated. Many cyclists see it as a safer approach becasue it forces cars to pay attention to you. Others say that it is unsafe ofr reasons that I think are obvious, expecially if you ahve ever encountered a pick-up truck full of beer drinking red-necks (sorry landpoke) on an isolated country road.

As for me, I only take a lane if I am moving as fast as traffic (some residedntial roads, downhills, especially on the tandem) or if it is a safety issue (no shoulder and no safe place ot be; shadows on the shoulder, etc.) Otherwsie, I like to try to be reasonable. I prefer to try to make friends with drivers rather than antagonize them. EVven so, in California, the vehicle code says htat bicycles are entlitled to take the lane (although many cops and local ordinances seem not to be aware of this fact).
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
On several bike fourms I visit from time to time (see phred.org) the issue of "taking the lane" is hotly debated. Many cyclists see it as a safer approach becasue it forces cars to pay attention to you. Others say that it is unsafe ofr reasons that I think are obvious, expecially if you ahve ever encountered a pick-up truck full of beer drinking red-necks (sorry landpoke) on an isolated country road.

As for me, I only take a lane if I am moving as fast as traffic (some residedntial roads, downhills, especially on the tandem) or if it is a safety issue (no shoulder and no safe place ot be; shadows on the shoulder, etc.) Otherwsie, I like to try to be reasonable. I prefer to try to make friends with drivers rather than antagonize them. EVven so, in California, the vehicle code says htat bicycles are entlitled to take the lane (although many cops and local ordinances seem not to be aware of this fact).
Very good advice. I find myself just left of the white line about 90% of the time.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never had a problem sharing the road with cyclists. They do have a right to be there as well as the vehicles.

That said, I was really annoyed by the three cyclists who decided they needed to take the entire west bound land of US20 somewhere between Worland and Thermopolis. It wouldn't have been a problem, but they were at the bottom of the mountain and there was no way I was going to follow them at their speed up the mountain. I couldn't pass because of oncoming traffic, so when I tapped the horn to let them know I needed to pass, they all turned and gave me the finger. I was able to eventually get around them after about 2 miles and ignored their yelling, though I did consider for about 2 seconds about getting right in front of them and standing on the brake.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've never had a problem sharing the road with cyclists. They do have a right to be there as well as the vehicles.

That said, I was really annoyed by the three cyclists who decided they needed to take the entire west bound land of US20 somewhere between Worland and Thermopolis. It wouldn't have been a problem, but they were at the bottom of the mountain and there was no way I was going to follow them at their speed up the mountain. I couldn't pass because of oncoming traffic, so when I tapped the horn to let them know I needed to pass, they all turned and gave me the finger. I was able to eventually get around them after about 2 miles and ignored their yelling, though I did consider for about 2 seconds about getting right in front of them and standing on the brake.

That is the sort of thing I hate to see. WHy piss people off? Cars will always win the fight, so why start it?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That is the sort of thing I hate to see. WHy piss people off? Cars will always win the fight, so why start it?
Exactly. I wasn't going to do anything to hurt them. All I wanted was a bit of consideration on their part in order to keep moving.

I'd guess that I saw about 75 or so cyclists along the highways on my vacation. They all had sleep rolls and looked as if they were making a long distance ride in order to enjoy how beautiful it is along the roads in SD and Wyo. Only 3 were dickheads about it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Spaz

Quote:
I was going to do a reverse post but thought better of it. To tell you the truth, the only part that bothers me is blowing through the stop sign. That's bad form, annoys drivers like you, is illegal (I once got a ticket for doing it, btw) and is unsafe. Otherwesie, he was well within his rights even if annoying and how many times are you annoyed by some stupid car driver on the road? It happens.
Yes, it does. And I wasn't trying to make a point other than to commiserate about jackasses who reflect poorly on the rest of the community of which they are a part of.

That said, Utah law actually states that you're required to yield to someone approaching from the rear traveling faster than you - regardless of how fast that person is going in relation to the speed limit.

I therefore feel completely justified in saying that that biker did NOT have as much right to the lane of traffic as I did.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Exactly. I wasn't going to do anything to hurt them. All I wanted was a bit of consideration on their part in order to keep moving.

I'd guess that I saw about 75 or so cyclists along the highways on my vacation. They all had sleep rolls and looked as if they were making a long distance ride in order to enjoy how beautiful it is along the roads in SD and Wyo. Only 3 were dickheads about it.
And the thing that really bugs is - how would them moving over & going single-file for a few seconds hurt them in any way?

No, they were just being jackasses, for no good reason whatsoever. Common courtesy should rule out.