cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it was stupid not racist.

Anyone in their right mind think the Spanish team intentionally set out to offend the Chinese when the games are being played on the Chinese home turf.

I think words like racist, biggot, homophobe have to have some intent behind them to be meaningful.

I know people who make jokes about missionaries or the tabernacle choir. Are they biggots. I don't know their intent, so how do I know whether they are biggots or their statement is biggotted.

What if someone showed up from another planet and his first contact with humans was at a comedy club. Some black person used the N word describing another black person. The alien walks out of the club, points to a black person and calls him the N word. I guess the alien is a racist.

I get tired of hearing people who are thoughtless or stupid being raised to the level of racists or biggots just because they are thoughtless or stupid or naive.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

You have to put this picture in perspective. Think how many pictures were taken that day. I can guarantee that most of the players had a whole day of giving interviews, etc... and to keep it light they did a number of different poses.

Again, these guys are not racists and I think it is funny that they had the balls enough to put it out there. That said, Rocky is right, that if Team USA did this, it would have been an international incident.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
You have to put this picture in perspective. Think how many pictures were taken that day. I can guarantee that most of the players had a whole day of giving interviews, etc... and to keep it light they did a number of different poses.

Again, these guys are not racists and I think it is funny that they had the balls enough to put it out there. That said, Rocky is right, that if Team USA did this, it would have been an international incident.
maybe they could have pushed their noses flat, and stuck their lips out to make them look bigger, and called it he light-hearted "negro pose."

Come on, it's stressful taking pictures, they need to lighten up!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #24
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post

What I have read on the subject indicates they weren't goofing off. It was done as advertising for something. It is the ad agency that thought it would be a good idea.

I will bet this is getting far more play here in the USA. Maybe our PC obsession is a good thing. However, I think thanks to the elite libs in this country, it does get overdone.

Think about it for a second. The Spainards are making themselves look like the Chinese. People are getting upset because they are mocking the Chinese. What are those people saying, the Chinese don't look good. Why is it they are mocking the Chinese. Maybe they are honoring them by trying to look like them.

I think they were trying to have some fun and in this day and age, you better be careful before you try to have fun. The media will always put the worst slant on it.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
What I have read on the subject indicates they weren't goofing off. It was done as advertising for something. It is the ad agency that thought it would be a good idea.

I will bet this is getting far more play here in the USA. Maybe our PC obsession is a good thing. However, I think thanks to the elite libs in this country, it does get overdone.

Think about it for a second. The Spainards are making themselves look like the Chinese. People are getting upset because they are mocking the Chinese. What are those people saying, the Chinese don't look good. Why is it they are mocking the Chinese. Maybe they are honoring them by trying to look like them.

I think they were trying to have some fun and in this day and age, you better be careful before you try to have fun. The media will always put the worst slant on it.
there isn't an Asian who grew up in this country who hasn't been mocked in the exact same fashion.

I know it means nothing to you, but it means something to people who have been mocked.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

The next time somebody slants their eyes as a gesture of respect will be the first time.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #27
BYU71

Perhaps it isn't all about us. I still would like to know how the Chinese feel about it, not how Chinese-Americans feel or Americans in general.

I know how we would feel if the Americans did it. We have PC on steroids here so now I would agree if the US players did it, it would be horrible.

How about the European and Chinese cultures though. Is it as big a deal over there.

My hell, in America if we see foreigners burn a picture of the President or burn our flag, we say we weren't being mocked, we say we deserved it. Liberals and the press wring their hands about how we aren't liked and it is our fault.

Maybe the Spainards don't like the Chinese and it is the Chinese's fault.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's not just the basketball team. Here are the Spanish tennis Olympians.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...ympics%2BHopes

Heavens, what are we supposed to do to jovially make fun of the Spanish if they get the 2016 Olympics? Put grease all over our bodies and hear, and put an ice pick through our brains to lower our IQ?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Of course it's offensive, was this a serious post? You don't make slant eyes because that's a gesture that people have been making for hundreds of years to mock the chinese and other Asians. It's never been a gesture made "all in good fun". How the hell can it be 2008 and there be people out there who don't realize this?
No kidding. People like A-Train make me want to throw humanity through a wall.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #30
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote