cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #21
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
Were Dems involved in the downfall? You bet. But considering both McCain & Bush were pushing this, and that fewer Dems jumped ship than Republicans, doesn't this also land on the laps of the GOP? (And by extension, McCain, Bush, et al)

Or, put a different way, Obama had better control of the Dems than McCain did the GOP.

(Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to stuff some cash in a shoebox to take to the bomb shelter out back.)
I think the fingerpointing is silly. Which bullet was it that killed Clyde Barrow?

A pox on both their houses, ideally before the foreclosure sales.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Were Dems involved in the downfall? You bet. But considering both McCain & Bush were pushing this, and that fewer Dems jumped ship than Republicans, doesn't this also land on the laps of the GOP? (And by extension, McCain, Bush, et al)

Or, put a different way, Obama had better control of the Dems than McCain did the GOP.

(Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to stuff some cash in a shoebox to take to the bomb shelter out back.)
Who cares? Obama will be the president and he is absent right now. McCain is a nonfactor. Stay on task here.

Dems control the House, they could pass it tonight, yet they pass. Just like the war, a lot of loud blather but not balls to cut off funding. I know the media will try to lay this at Repub feet, but I think Americans can count. Pelosi comes off looking like total lightweight, went to a vote without her votes in line. Very, very, incompetent.

I'm starting to think it best not to pass anything, or at least not this bill. Those 120 Repubs will become heros.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Bush and McCain did fail to bring around the conservative caucus of the House, yes.

But Democrats control it. You cannot escape that. There were not just "involved" they were responsible. If they want to abdicate that role, give us back control of the House, and you can go back to saying "not our fault."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #24
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I'm starting to think it best not to pass anything, or at least not this bill. Those 120 Repubs will become heros.
One scenario (undiscussed) is letting the financial system collapse. Our economy has serious imbalances... fed deficit + debt, trade deficit, manufacturing gone, etc.

What are the merits of letting Wall Street meltdown more completely? Let some "tough love" chase out toxins. Sure, a lot of people would be hurt, but it's that way already, occurs to just a transitory underclass.

The economy that emerges 5-10 years later would be on more solid ground.

(I think this is politically untenable, but maybe there is some merit in the idea.)
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One scenario (undiscussed) is letting the financial system collapse. Our economy has serious imbalances... fed deficit + debt, trade deficit, manufacturing gone, etc.

What are the merits of letting Wall Street meltdown more completely? Let some "tough love" chase out toxins. Sure, a lot of people would be hurt, but it's that way already, occurs to just a transitory underclass.

The economy that emerges 5-10 years later would be on more solid ground.

(I think this is politically untenable, but maybe there is some merit in the idea.)
there are two choices here:

1. prop up the real estate market and try to drive up the prices
2. let them fall, and with so many people upside down on their mortgages go through the fallout of foreclosures, fewer buyers able to qualify for mortgages, and falling prices.

I prefer #2, because the prices are way too high for average families.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #26
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

True colors emerge here. Ma'ake, Cali, now favoring the bail out. The only reason Democrats didn't ram it through is because they didn't have the guts to do this pork on their own.

GWB betrayed conservative principles with his Great Society foreign policy. Now this is the final straw. Why do dems hate him? He's one of them.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I have to disclose that I am glad that it didn't pass. I am not for a bailout. I think the market could and should fix itself.

As to your question, sure, the Republicans could have cast 13 more yes votes for it to pass, but again, the Dems have the majority and they could have done it if they wanted to. I'll always blame the majority for not getting things done because they are the majority.

The Dems didn't even need the Republicans to pass this. They could have passed it if all of them voted yes. No Repubs were needed.

It's Pelosi's failure, which is a good thing - and that kills me to give her credit for a good thing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #28
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I have to disclose that I am glad that it didn't pass. I am not for a bailout. I think the market could and should fix itself.

As to your question, sure, the Republicans could have cast 13 more yes votes for it to pass, but again, the Dems have the majority and they could have done it if they wanted to. I'll always blame the majority for not getting things done because they are the majority.

The Dems didn't even need the Republicans to pass this. They could have passed it if all of them voted yes. No Repubs were needed.

It's Pelosi's failure, which is a good thing - and that kills me to give her credit for a good thing.
Is it possible that there is a bigger waste of flesh on the planet than Nancy Pelosi?

My Gawd that woman has the intelligence of a plant, a house plant, and it's scary to even give her that much credit.

If there was ever a reason for term limits, she and uncle teddy come first to mind for giving the boot out of DC, there never was a time for them to be in DC.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #29
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That's how I feel. The only solution to this is let the market sort itself out, regardless of how painful that may be. I think doing anything else is just forestalling the inevitable, so we might as well get it over with.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #30
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Is it possible that there is a bigger waste of flesh on the planet than Nancy Pelosi?

My Gawd that woman has the intelligence of a plant, a house plant, and it's scary to even give her that much credit.
Here's the scary thing - Pelosi has more noodle power than Palin. I hope we don't have to see the Wasilla beauty queen try to ride herd over the Senate. "If you don't vote for this, you're all a bunch of haters!"
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote