cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default The longer this goes, the more it hurts McCain

McCain was the real loser yesterday. Though I can't for the life of me figure out why, the American people are determined to blame this on the Republicans. I guess the specter of the incumbent White House is truly that powerful.

McCain certainly hasn't helped his case much. Though reportedly he did help bring more Republicans on board than would have otherwise voted for the bill, and he helped them have a voice in the negotiations, now he's out there stumping on earmarks. Idiot.

But what has Obama done to deserve a bump? He's basically done nothing more than stuck his head in the sand and held up a sign saying, "The Republicans did it." Meanwhile one of his economic advisors is one of the chief culprits responsible! (Yeah, I know he denies Raines is an advisor. Bull. Like Wright wasn't a spiritual mentor either, eh?)

Meanwhile the news media has done their best to obscure that this is a Democrat controlled Congress.

It's amazing to me the stars keep aligning to put the most leftist, inexperienced president in half-a-century in office, but it seems that's what we're poised to do.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-30-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
McCain was the real loser yesterday. Though I can't for the life of me figure out why, the American people are determined to blame this on the Republicans. I guess in specter of the incumbent White House is truly that powerful.

McCain certainly hasn't helped his case much. Though reportedly he did help bring more Republicans on board than would have otherwise voted for the bill, and he helped them have a voice in the negotiations, now he's out there stumping on earmarks. Idiot.

But what has Obama done to deserve a bump? He's basically done nothing more than stuck his head in the sand and held up a sign saying, "The Republicans did it." Meanwhile one of his economic advisors is one of the chief culprits responsible! (Yeah, I know he denies Raines is an advisor. Bull. Like Wright wasn't a spiritual mentor either, eh?)

Meanwhile the news media has done their best to obscure that this is a Democrat controlled Congress.

It's amazing to me the stars keep aligning to put the most leftist, inexperienced president in half-a-century in office, but it seems that's what we're poised to do.
Obama "played the media like a virtuoso..."

lol. that made me laugh the first time you typed that phrase.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
McCain was the real loser yesterday. Though I can't for the life of me figure out why, the American people are determined to blame this on the Republicans. I guess in specter of the incumbent White House is truly that powerful.

I told you there was a donut on the table to be had. But McCain's stubby arms were too short, and his brain too feeble to grab it.

Finally, a chance to do something conservative, that would have the broad support of the American people, and McCain is swimming in the opposite direction.

FAIL.

Conservative movement in America.

WIN.

National Review, Larry Kudlow, etc. that support the bailout.

FAIL.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
McCain was the real loser yesterday. Though I can't for the life of me figure out why, the American people are determined to blame this on the Republicans. I guess the specter of the incumbent White House is truly that powerful.

It's over Tex. Get used to it: President Barrack Hussein Obama.

McCain didn't stand a chance. We saw it during the primaries; a grumpy old man. People don't elect grumpy old men.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Meanwhile one of (Obama's) economic advisors is one of the chief culprits responsible! (Yeah, I know he denies Raines is an advisor. Bull. Like Wright wasn't a spiritual mentor either, eh?)
At this point Señor Graham is a much bigger household name.

Quote:
There's more to this fight, this one will go the full 12 rounds. We're in the middle of the opera and the fat lady hasn't even got out of bed yet to make her way down to the opera house.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
There's more to this fight, this one will go the full 12 rounds. We're in the middle of the opera and the fat lady hasn't even got out of bed yet to make her way down to the opera house.
I agree with you here, but I also agree with Tex's first remark that W sitting there in the White House as unpopular as he is has phenomenal power. I have thought for the last two years, and nothing has changed my mind, that this is the Democrats to lose. The public is down on Bush, conservatives are discouraged, liberals are fired up, the country is war weary and Republicans have been "in charge" for a long time. They are going to get blamed for pretty much everything at this point.

I believe that in order to win McCain has to be be anti-Bush, not just silent about Bush. I also agree with the comment that being in a presidential election has dulled his political instincts. He didn't used to care so much what people thought because he had the luxury of wild popularity in his state. Now he cares and the charm is lost.

At this point, I see Obama winning comfortably. He needs to needs to turn the ball over in the redzone a several consecutive possessions to lose. He knows it and is just sort of laying low. I think it will work, and just like I don't think it is bad for the market to have its ass kicked periodically so too it isn't bad for the conservative movement to get shaken up. Democrats were in exactly this sort of malaise at the end of the Clinton years. And the cycle goes on....

Last edited by UtahDan; 09-30-2008 at 06:12 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I agree with you here, but I also agree with Tex's first remark that W sitting there in the White House as unpopular as he is has phenomenal power. I have thought for the last two years, and nothing has changed my mind, that this is the Democrats to lose. The public is down on Bush, conservatives are discouraged, liberals are fired up, the country is war weary and Republicans have been "in charge" for a long time.

I believe that in order to win McCain has to be be anti-Bush, not just silent about Bush. I also agree with the comment that being in a presidential election has dulled his political instincts. He didn't used to care so much what people thought because he had the luxury of wild popularity in his state. Now he cares and the charm is lost.

At this point, I see Obama winning comfortably. He needs to needs to turn the ball over in the redzone a several consecutive possessions to win. He knows it and is just sort of laying low. I think it will work, and just like I don't think it is bad for the market to have its ass kicked periodically so too it isn't bad for the conservative movement to get shaken up. Democrats were in exactly this sort of malaise at the end of the Clinton years. And the cycle goes on....

It is cyclical. After 8 years of Clinton polarizing the electorate, everyone was ready for a regime change, too.

Obama has easy pickings if he wanted to push McCain's buttons right now, but his campaign has been focused on the wrong things.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
It is cyclical. After 8 years of Clinton polarizing the electorate, everyone was ready for a regime change, too.

Obama has easy pickings if he wanted to push McCain's buttons right now, but his campaign has been focused on the wrong things.
I agree. For example, they sort of seemed to panic with Palin and really focused a lot of energy on her when just waiting it out and letting the blush come off the rose all on its own would have been more than sufficient.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I largely agree. My biggest concern now is that the Dems will get 60 seats in the Senate. I don't think it wise to give one party that kind of control, but Republicans seem determined to make it happen.
I just snorted water out my nose. Your "biggest concern"? Damn funny.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I largely agree. My biggest concern now is that the Dems will get 60 seats in the Senate. I don't think it wise to give one party that kind of control, but Republicans seem determined to make it happen.
Republicans accomplished remarkably little with control of both, though it was never filibuster proof. Then again, Republicans see that as a vritue.

I don't think the public will give that sort of power for long. Once there is a new president and the Bush albatross is removed from Republicans, they will reinvent themselves or at least reinvigorate the party. Obama will give conservatives something to agree about and they will unite. And just as was the case with Republicans after Clinton, the dems once fully in power and with no more Bush will have less to agree upon and the fissures will start to show.