cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I agree with you here, but I also agree with Tex's first remark that W sitting there in the White House as unpopular as he is has phenomenal power. I have thought for the last two years, and nothing has changed my mind, that this is the Democrats to lose. The public is down on Bush, conservatives are discouraged, liberals are fired up, the country is war weary and Republicans have been "in charge" for a long time. They are going to get blamed for pretty much everything at this point.

I believe that in order to win McCain has to be be anti-Bush, not just silent about Bush. I also agree with the comment that being in a presidential election has dulled his political instincts. He didn't used to care so much what people thought because he had the luxury of wild popularity in his state. Now he cares and the charm is lost.

At this point, I see Obama winning comfortably. He needs to needs to turn the ball over in the redzone a several consecutive possessions to lose. He knows it and is just sort of laying low. I think it will work, and just like I don't think it is bad for the market to have its ass kicked periodically so too it isn't bad for the conservative movement to get shaken up. Democrats were in exactly this sort of malaise at the end of the Clinton years. And the cycle goes on....
I think you have it nailed, at least with the current situation. Obama can definitely still lose this thing, especially as the fight narrows to battle ground states where race could be a factor. It will be interesting to see how the TV money will be used in these last 5 weeks.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Obama's going to win, and by a healthy margin. The House and Senate will both see gains. Governorships will too. So in terms of the election, I think it would be healthier overall to have slightly less than a filibuster-proof majority. That isn't generally good for a democracy, although I admit it is fun to think about all the Dems could accomplish in 2 years before the natural order of things kicked a few of them out for overstepping their bounds.
You think it would be fun to see the Dems tax the hell out of the citizens to expand social programs to a ridiculous level?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
No, so fortunately that isn't what they propose.

Then what do they propose?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Obama's going to win, and by a healthy margin. The House and Senate will both see gains. Governorships will too. So in terms of the election, I think it would be healthier overall to have slightly less than a filibuster-proof majority. That isn't generally good for a democracy, although I admit it is fun to think about all the Dems could accomplish in 2 years before the natural order of things kicked a few of them out for overstepping their bounds.
Right. I'll file that along with your other two big concerns: being too successful and making too much money.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Marxism. With a splash of baby eating.

Thanks for that laugh. It was needed. Now I have to clean a combo of Coke and Doritos off the monitor.