cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is Zakaria one of the guys who goes go Georgetown cocktail parties?
B.A. from Yale. Ph.D. from Harvard. He's probably not "Joe Six-Pack", if that's what you mean.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
B.A. from Yale. Ph.D. from Harvard. He's probably not "Joe Six-Pack", if that's what you mean.
McCain said that the guys rippng on Palin are the ones that go to Georgetown Cocktail parties.

So your answer is "yes".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
McCain said that the guys rippng on Palin are the ones that go to Georgetown Cocktail parties.

So your answer is "yes".
Aha...

More proof that Sam Harris was right.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hell, what beltway GOP talking head doesn't go to the Georgetown cocktail parties?

I find the entire GOP establishment to be repugnant.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Byron York's unnamed Alaskan source on Palin:

Quote:
Although we were talking about other things, one of them took a detour to the upcoming debate; what was said was just one person's opinion, but it's an opinion informed by a good bit of knowledge.

"The McCain people have got her freaked out," this person told me. "She has not found her voice. She has looked like hell in these interviews. It's not her. I don't know what's going on. I know she doesn't have any Alaska people around her since Todd left New York last week. No one from the governor's office is with her."

"They've circled the wagons around her and got her in a bubble," the source continued. "They've got her flipped out. She's afraid to talk, afraid to make a mistake."

"You have to get her away from that damn cellphone and BlackBerry when you're getting her ready for interviews and debates. You have to create peace around her, get her to calm down and just breathe, for God's sake….If she does that, she's one of the best I've ever seen."

"I think she'll make a comeback with Biden, when she gets out there all alone. But I've just never seen her so unsure of herself in a long time."

Sending Palin to McCain's ranch in Arizona, where some of her family was with her, was part of an effort to "create peace" around her. Still, I think my Alaskan source's observations raise the question of whether you want a candidate for vice president who can be rattled by Charles Gibson or Katie Couric. But my sense is that Palin is pretty tough, and that if she has in fact been rattled, it's been more a one-time response to her being plucked out of Alaska and put on the national stage so quickly. It's a huge change, but she's adjusting. In any event, if you're looking for peace, the McCain campaign is not the first place that would come to mind.
I think his analysis is spot on. You'll probably hear this a lot today, but I think apprehension for Palin tonight mirrors how people felt on the eve of her convention speech. Hopefully she does as well.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Byron York's unnamed Alaskan source on Palin:

I think his analysis is spot on. You'll probably hear this a lot today, but I think apprehension for Palin tonight mirrors how people felt on the eve of her convention speech. Hopefully she does as well.

I am guessing that in his prior life Tex was a member of the orchestra on the Titanic.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am guessing that in his prior life Tex was a member of the orchestra on the Titanic.
That's a great line.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Zakaria is one of my favorites, too and is pretty non-partisan -- he was one of the first columnists to start emphasizing how well things have been going in Iraq after the surge. He has talked about how over the long-term the invasion of Iraq may be a very positive thing for the Middle East.

I think he is dead-on about Palin. McCain has lost all credibility when he says he will always put country over politics. How can anyone compare the intelligence and ability of Mitt Romney (or even Rudy Giuliani) and Sarah Palin and not be completely disgusted with John McCain's VP choice?
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We played, "Nearer, Barack, to Thee"

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote