cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Was that the same Palin who has been stumbling over how to spell "Alaska"? Goodness the difference between this debate and all of her media appearances from the past five weeks were like night and day.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:50 AM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Gwen Ifil just said there will be 2 minutes for discussion after each question, and that she has not shared the questions or topics with anyone.

Where did you get your bad information, Leb?
I don't recall.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It came out in the NYTimes a couple of weeks ago. The candidates must have continued negotiations after that agreement was negotiated. Either that or the Times had its story wrong.
I swear I read it somewhere.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I'm calling this. Palin wins.
I thought she got her ass kicked. Eye of the beholder, I suppose.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I saw it too. I will try to hunt it down.
It was me. I posted it. You read it. And as I've established myself as such a credible, reliable, unbiased and worthy authority on these matters, you both understandably logged it as fact instead of as standard message board drivel.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?p=269296

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't watch any of the debate, but I did turn to several networks afterwards and the consensus seemed to be that both did well.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I thought she got her ass kicked. Eye of the beholder, I suppose.
While I do have conservative political leanings, I do not let those views affect my analysis of political events. Trust me on this.

Also, I was handicapping Palin significantly.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By the way, what in the world was up with Palin just deciding to answer questions nobody asked and refusing (literally) to answer those asked? She was all over the place tonight.
can we go back to discussing our energy policy?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's good, because you also called McCain's win after the debate. I hope you are equally right now as you were then!

(polls once again indicate the Dem won).
Jesus won his debates as well, although public opinion was significantly against him. Something to think about.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Far more interesting debate than last week's, and more interesting than the last couple of VP debates.

Biden did quite well. He avoided gaffing and did not come across as a bully or condescending. He took many shots at McCain--which is what he's supposed to do--that Palin let slide, probably because she doesn't possess his encyclopedic knowledge of the last 35 years of federal law. He did come across as a little wonkish, which I don't think appeals to the common man.

By now this is cliche, but Palin easily exceeded all expectations. She was relaxed, a little funny, and very comfortable. She made good points on the topics, particularly on energy, and held her own on foreign policy. She even pushed back on Joe a little.

In the end I think Palin did more for her ticket than Biden did for his. That's probably a result of the media and pundit criticism she's taken the last couple of weeks (no one pays attention to Biden except his gaffes). Typically I'd say no one really votes for VP anyway, but this may be an exception year because so many conservatives (including me) dislike McCain. Those who questioned Palin after the Couric interviews may now come back into the fold.

Did she sway undecideds? Frank Luntz certainly thought so. We'll see if the polls show anything.

All in all, a pretty entertaining debate. I expect the next two to be as dull as the first.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote