cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Agreed.

The focus needs to be on securing the borders to limit the incoming illegals. After that is under control, then we can decide what to do with those who are here illegally. I'm not for amnesty, but perhaps an expedited way to grant legal status and some sort of fine.
I agree with this approach. I just don't know what we can do to secure the borders though. And I don't know what to do with those that are here. I've always maintained that it should be easier to obtain legal documentation than it is currently.

I think people would be startled if they knew how many illegals there are here and what they contribute to the economy. Serving a Spanish speaking mission stateside opened my eyes to this and working in construction since. The illegals could cripple the economy if they unified to do so.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I agree with this approach. I just don't know what we can do to secure the borders though. And I don't know what to do with those that are here. I've always maintained that it should be easier to obtain legal documentation than it is currently.

I think people would be startled if they knew how many illegals there are here and what they contribute to the economy. Serving a Spanish speaking mission stateside opened my eyes to this and working in construction since. The illegals could cripple the economy if they unified to do so.
One thing we can do to help secure the borders is to stop making the ridiculous mistake of putting people like Ramos and Compean in prison. We can't give border patrol carte blanche to use force, but we can allow them to shoot the bad guys with no punishment.

Mexico could do a lot to curb illegal immigration if it chose not to be so corrupt in it's government, but Mexico likes the billions of free money coming in from it's citizens who are here.

And you're right, illegals are willing to do so many jobs that Americans think are beneath them that it would cause a tremendous amount of problems if they chose to stop working.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default I would say a multi-billion dollar deficit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
How much does California benefit from illegal labor? (That part of the equation is hidden.)

This is why Cal has a different stance on illegals than AZ - they're economy would be a big hit, particulary in SoCal.
is a big hit.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Then make them and their employers

Quote:

pay federal and state income taxes on their wages.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
pay federal and state income taxes on their wages.
I would say that 75% of these workers do. They all just have fake SSN and receive paychecks just like everyone else. The perception is that all these illegals are waiting outside Home Depot and getting paid cash under the table and that is just not the case for the majority.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I would say that 75% of these workers do. They all just have fake SSN and receive paychecks just like everyone else. The perception is that all these illegals are waiting outside Home Depot and getting paid cash under the table and that is just not the case for the majority.
Again, I agree that this is the case. A solution would be to hit the employers who hire these illegals with a fake SS card right in the pocketbook. Most of the employers are small business owners and large fines are not something they can survive with.

There are plenty of reasons for the problem where blame can be placed on someone other than the illegal alien.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote