cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should I vote for?
McCain 2 25.00%
Nader 1 12.50%
Obama 4 50.00%
Paul 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Neither, "Brothers in Arms."
That is actually a good song, too.

Keep your points.

Foiled again by Mark Knopfler!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Paul isn't running. Why not replace him with Barr who has the same views minus a few of the wacko ones.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
Cougar Hunter

Cougar Hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I ran across this interesting little video online the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K-tendkSc
Classic post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.
That guy strains too hard to connect the CRA to the sub-prime crisis when there isn't even a correlation. The CRA was enacted 30 years ago with Clinton making changes in 95. There was a jump in sup-prime lending in the late 90's as a result of CRA but died down around 2001. The Bush admin weakened the CRA yet subprime loans continued to rise.

Studies show the sub-prime loans made under Clinton as a result of the CRA performed quite well and had low default rates. Also lenders subject to the CRA made less subprime loans than private lenders that weren't subject to the regulation.

Notice how there are no lenders crying about the CRA and claiming that it forced them to make 120% loans, neg-am loans, interest-only loans etc.

www.prospect.org

But any idiot can make a video and put it on Youtube.
Cougar Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh, there's a Proposition 8 thingy on it too. I've been meaning to pray about that one.

I find it odd that in 2004, a million people claimed they prayed over Bush or Kerry, and half of them received a "Bush" answer while half received a "Kerry" answer.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
Classic post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.
That guy strains too hard to connect the CRA to the sub-prime crisis when there isn't even a correlation. The CRA was enacted 30 years ago with Clinton making changes in 95. There was a jump in sup-prime lending in the late 90's as a result of CRA but died down around 2001. The Bush admin weakened the CRA yet subprime loans continued to rise.

Studies show the sub-prime loans made under Clinton as a result of the CRA performed quite well and had low default rates. Also lenders subject to the CRA made less subprime loans than private lenders that weren't subject to the regulation.

Notice how there are no lenders crying about the CRA and claiming that it forced them to make 120% loans, neg-am loans, interest-only loans etc.

www.prospect.org

But any idiot can make a video and put it on Youtube.
I just said it was interesting.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #16
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I can vote right now. Who should I vote for?
I like you, ute4ever, but if you are basing your vote on a poll on CG from people you don't know, then a better option would probably be "do not vote" (although a MUCH better option would be to read up on the candidates and find the one who most closely represents your views).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I like you, ute4ever, but if you are basing your vote on a poll on CG from people you don't know, then a better option would probably be "do not vote" (although a MUCH better option would be to read up on the candidates and find the one who most closely represents your views).
Do you really think 4ever would base his vote on a CG poll? I rather doubt it. And if someone like 4ever is, then that says an awful lot about the two candidates and the state of our politics.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I got about 35 seconds into the clip and stopped it for two reasons.

1. The clip is entitled Burning Down the House, a reference to the Talking Heads, and the intro music is clearly Dire Straits "Money for Nothing."
2. The clip makes it seem that low income families are largely to blame, when many of the biggest perps are middle income/leveraged high income people who were buying into bigger homes.

I mostly stopped it though because I hate Dire Straits and mark Knopfler is a headband-wearing fool. Walk of Life was a really catchy tune, though. i will give him that much. btw, the sports bloopers version of the Walk of Life video....VASTLY superior to the "communist soldiers in the tunnel" version.
I see we disagree about Dire Straights and Knopfler. One of my favorite bands and artists.

And yes, I've seen Knopfler both with Dire Straights and solo.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote