cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
WHat does that mean? Bikes rarely 'break' and most things other than a cracked aluminum or CF frame can usually be fixed pretty quickly.
Sounds like a cop out if you ask me. All parts can be fixed or replaced.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #22
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
When Mrs. Red Death was pregnant I trained for my first marathon. On saturday mornings at 6 in the morning I would have her drive me 18 miles away from our house and I would run home. the whole saturday wasnt wasted and it was cool enough that I didn't want to kill someone
You probably run faster than me and don't need to take a nap after a long run. I don't regret doing it, but it is not something I want to do again. Training without kids was just more fun.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #23
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I've done two marathons. The first pre-kids, the second when my son was a toddler. If you're going to do it, I suggest making sure Mike is totally on board and ready to sacrifice half a Saturday when you need to get a long run in. Danimal was great, but I still felt guilty. Pretty much our Saturdays were shot while I was training.

Also, I trained in the summer and there were a few Saturday mornings when our schedule kept me from getting in my long run early. Since there was no way I was going to run 15 or more out in the hot, humid Memphis sun, I went to the gym. One afternoon I ran 17 miles on the indoor track--that's 170 laps! I get dizzy just thinking about it.
Boy, do I wish I'd done the marathon before kids. But, with working 6 days a week (and Houston humidity is horrible to run in), I didn't. There's also a running group at White Rock Lake every Saturday that I could train with (if Mike can sacrifice some early morning Saturday basketball) That's why I'm trying to work up to it gradually, half marathon this year, maybe the full the next year. By then, the baby will be a toddler. I really get dehydrated quickly now, probably because I'm nursing.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #24
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
WHat does that mean? Bikes rarely 'break' and most things other than a cracked aluminum or CF frame can usually be fixed pretty quickly.
I bought a nice (at the time) Mountain Bike when I was 12 or 13. It was Trek and cost like $350 (for me that was a lot of money to be spending on a bike at the time).

When I moved away to college, I ended up not taking my bike and it sat in my parents garage for 4 years (plus the two years I was away on my mission). There is something wrong with the Shimono (sp?) shifters, as it will down shift but I can't shift back up. I'm not doubting that it can't be fixed easily, but it is actually getting it fixed and not having to spend $100 to get it on the road again.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #25
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
A cyclist with a beer gut is not a cyclist. They are merely recreational riders who spent too much miney on gear they will never really need or use.
Well, I say that because I know some of Mike's cycling friends who ride a LOT still have a bit of a spare tire around the middle. (they are a older than Mike though). Also, Mike gained some weight (understandably) when working the hardest part of his residency. He hardly had time to sleep, much less exercise, and he frequently only had time to grab fast food. When he started cycling a lot, he gained strength, but didn't lose the gut. Only when he started playing basketball did he lose it.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #26
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Here is what my wife and I have planned for later this fall:

http://www.laketahoemarathon.com/indexframes.html

She and her friend are going to do the marathon on Saturday, my buddy and I are going to do the ride around the lake on friday, about 75 miles or so. They also have a half marathon if that is more your style. Its perfect for us, as we will be able to share kid duty while the other is suffering around one of the prettiest places in America.

I've always had a little itch in me to do a full marathon. I've been at the finish of several marathons and it is very inspiring to see some of the people stumble across the finish line, knowing that they really should have no business doing something that difficult. Alas, I'll stick to cycling - its much easier on the joints.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #27
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I bought a nice (at the time) Mountain Bike when I was 12 or 13. It was Trek and cost like $350 (for me that was a lot of money to be spending on a bike at the time).

When I moved away to college, I ended up not taking my bike and it sat in my parents garage for 4 years (plus the two years I was away on my mission). There is something wrong with the Shimono (sp?) shifters, as it will down shift but I can't shift back up. I'm not doubting that it can't be fixed easily, but it is actually getting it fixed and not having to spend $100 to get it on the road again.
Most likely a cable tension issue, imo. With the bike having sat for that long, they would likely do well to be replaced. The parts are very inexpensive and the wrench down at the local bike shop will probably be able to do it in about 5 minutes. I would guess $40 would get you back on the road, if all it is is a shifting problem.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #28
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Well, I say that because I know some of Mike's cycling friends who ride a LOT still have a bit of a spare tire around the middle. (they are a older than Mike though). Also, Mike gained some weight (understandably) when working the hardest part of his residency. He hardly had time to sleep, much less exercise, and he frequently only had time to grab fast food. When he started cycling a lot, he gained strength, but didn't lose the gut. Only when he started playing basketball did he lose it.
I agree. I just got back from a group ride where one of the powerhouses on the flats and downhills was about 50 pounds overweight. He held his own on the small climbs, but was greased lightening when the road leveled out.

My thing is, once I start to up my training intensity, I also proportionally increase my calorie intake. 1000 calories out = 1000 calories in, any way you look at it.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #29
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
That's why I'm trying to work up to it gradually, half marathon this year, maybe the full the next year. By then, the baby will be a toddler. I really get dehydrated quickly now, probably because I'm nursing.
My wife ran her first marathon before kids, but didn't train correctly. She ran the 2nd and 3rd after our second child. If you are going to do it do it right. Find a training program and stick to it. She ran the St George and decided she wanted to quilify for Boston, so she found a training program online and followed it to the letter. Sometimes it required giving up some saturday activities, but it was worth it.
A good running stroller is also a key. We have the instep 10k ultimate (a double running stroller) and a single one, a roadrunner (don't think they make these anymore, which is too bad because it is really nice). She did everything except her really long runs with the strollers while I was at work and I think that is why she did so well. If you can run 8 miles pushing a stroller, it gets a lot easier when you no longer have the stroller.
Also have a time goal in mind is good. If you go out trying to keep a pace you will work harder and do better. When my wife did it she decided to try and quilify for Boston which was 3:40 for her age group. So I convinced her that shooting for 3:40 wouldn't be good, cause what if you are 5 seconds slower on your pace that day. Then you miss qualifying by just a couple of minutes. So she made her goal time a 3:30 and then if she had a bad day she still had a chance at qualifying. Well she had a good day and ran a 3:23 but that is another story.
Good luck.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #30
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Let me preface this by saying that running has never been my thing even when I was in shape. I've hated running distances, no matter how long or short. But after my son was born, I realized how overweight I was (I weighed about 255 on a 6'2" frame) and how much I needed to be in shape. Ideally I need to get down to around 190-200 as I have a frame that can let me carry more weight and still look okay.

So for Valentine's Day my wife gave me (even though I purchased and came up with the idea) a Nike + system for her Nano so I could track my workouts and motivate myself to get out and run. I've had it for just over a month and I absolutely love it. Since I started using it, I've ran almost 40 miles (for me, it's a HUGE accomplishment) Nothing has gotten me running EVER like this before. And in addition to running I've also tried eating better, healthier foods. The first week I both ran and ate better I dropped from about 248 on Sunday to 238 the next Monday (which was this last Monday). I've put on a few of those pounds back thanks to a lousy late-night meal after the temple at Applebee's Tuesday and some Pizza last night, but still I've been motivated to get in shape.

Anyways, I post this because I just got back from my longest run ever, which for me feels great. I feel like I've accomplished something. I ran 5.11 miles in about 55 minutes, so about an 11 minute mile. I don't know that I'll ever be able to run a full on Marathon, but my goal is to just run as much as I can. I want to be in shape, and this is hopefully going to be a great chance at getting back where I want to be, and where I really should be. I'm also taking a shirtless picture every week to track. Maybe once I get a little further along I'll post some pictures so you can make fun of me for getting to the point that I was at, but working my way back to where I'm going to be. And if anybody else has a Nike + (I know Steel Blue does) I'm always up for a challenge to keep me motivated!
Sizzle, your post has inspired me to start exercising again. I'm fatter now than I've ever been in my life. Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away I used to be a runner so I would like to start running again; however, the last time I started running at this weight I soon developed shin splints. I think I'm too fat for my frame to be running at this weight. Thus, I'm going to start off walking and lifting weights. As I get down to a more reasonable weight for my frame then I can start running again.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote