cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I got my new bike!

It's a Kestrel carbon fiber frame with 100% ultegra componentry. That still means nothing to me by the way. What I need to do now I guess is, is get some pedals, anybody have suggestions?!, i need a helmet and some shorts (hoping bluegoose can come through on some BYU gear). I'm really excited! I didn't know there were so many cycling shops so close to my house! Anyway, I thought I'd let you all know about the bike and get your advice on pedals. My father-in-law recommended some speed play pedals, but my buddy said that they would give me 'hot spots'. I have no idea what to get. I just want to get in and out easily. I feel like all this cycling stuff has it's own language.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
It's a Kestrel carbon fiber frame with 100% ultegra componentry. That still means nothing to me by the way. What I need to do now I guess is, is get some pedals, anybody have suggestions?!, i need a helmet and some shorts (hoping bluegoose can come through on some BYU gear). I'm really excited! I didn't know there were so many cycling shops so close to my house! Anyway, I thought I'd let you all know about the bike and get your advice on pedals. My father-in-law recommended some speed play pedals, but my buddy said that they would give me 'hot spots'. I have no idea what to get. I just want to get in and out easily. I feel like all this cycling stuff has it's own language.
A very good choice. It is a bike you will not outgrow. You can supplement it and enjoy it for a long time. It will be comfortable.

Speedplay is the way to go for me. It gives play so that the knees don't suffer. Speedplay also has zero play pedals but I don't recommend them even though they make you pedal correctly. The "play" helps you. And I've gone one hundred fifty miles without hot spots, done two ironmen, so I wouldn't worry about hot spots.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a group of riders in springville over the weekend and saw a couple guys with the BYU riding jerseys with the new Y logo.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I had both look-style and speedplay. I think I prefer Look because your feet are less likely to slip out when you are really cranking. Just my personal opinion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wow, you don't mess around! I'm jealous.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I had both look-style and speedplay. I think I prefer Look because your feet are less likely to slip out when you are really cranking. Just my personal opinion.

No offense intended here, but if your feet slip out of speedplays it means you are not using good form. Speedplays are good, I think becasue they let you get in and out very easily, they will pop out if you start flailing away in a wild sprint, which means you train yourself not to flail but ot be more efficient, and they have all the float you will need. The primary drawback to speedplays from my point of view is that the cleat is very exposed when you walk and will wear quickly from too much walking on them. For riding, however, I think I prefer the speedplay system.

Cool bike, btw.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't think speedplay has a high adoption rate in the pro ranks.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A very good choice. It is a bike you will not outgrow. You can supplement it and enjoy it for a long time. It will be comfortable.

Speedplay is the way to go for me. It gives play so that the knees don't suffer. Speedplay also has zero play pedals but I don't recommend them even though they make you pedal correctly. The "play" helps you. And I've gone one hundred fifty miles without hot spots, done two ironmen, so I wouldn't worry about hot spots.
Sounds like the speedplay pedals are the way to go then... My father-in-law said they were excellent pedals too. My concern was the hot spots, but if you've done a 150 miler and 2 inronmen without hotspots, i should be more than fine! Thanks!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 04-01-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
i've pretty much decided to go with speedplay, so i better figure out how to make it work! is their a certain shoe that will help prevent from serious slippage? shimano was recommended...

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
i've pretty much decided to go with speedplay, so i better figure out how to make it work! is their a certain shoe that will help prevent from serious slippage? shimano was recommended...
I'm not anti-speedplay per se. I use them myself, when I replaced my el cheapo performancebike look-style cleats.

It's just that I preferred the more secure feeling of the Looks.

I'm not sure which shoe is the best, but I would recommend not going cheap on shoes. I got the $70 shimano shoes. They are fine, but I could have done much better. It's just that I'm too cheap to get better ones.

More importantly don't go cheap on the cycling shorts. I recommend the pearl izumis.