cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Kobayashi questionable for Coney Island

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2919838

What do think? Real injury, playing possum as Tony Kornheiser says, or just plain old scared of the college kid from San Jose?

Intriguing story on so many levels.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I like the part where it says "he may have strained his jaw training for the event."

How does one train for a hot dog eating contest?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2919838

What do think? Real injury, playing possum as Tony Kornheiser says, or just plain old scared of the college kid from San Jose?

Intriguing story on so many levels.
Bummer. This was shaping up to be a major battle. Joey Chestnut, the great white hope finally getting his big shot at the veteran in the biggest stage of the eating contest world.

My fav was Kobayashi against the bear in the made for TV man vs beast special. That was one of the best hours of TV ever. Thirty midgets in a strength contest vs an elephant. A fast black guy vs a zebra in the 100 m dash. How do you top that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgqbCq_sxmo
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I like the part where it says "he may have strained his jaw training for the event."

How does one train for a hot dog eating contest?
You should see him train. There was a True Life special on MTV a few years back where it followed Kobayashi, Eater X, and some up and comer trying to get into the competitive eating circuit. They'd cook hot dogs and practice technique, time, etc. Kobayashi also works out and lifts daily and eats more than any individual I have ever seen. There was one segment where this cook in Japan made three courses that could have served 20+ people and Kobayashi put it all away. For dessert he had a chili powder shaved ice that could have filled a bucket.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

My fav was Kobayashi against the bear in the made for TV man vs beast special. That was one of the best hours of TV ever. Thirty midgets in a strength contest vs an elephant. A fast black guy vs a zebra in the 100 m dash. How do you top that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgqbCq_sxmo
That may have been the single greatest hour of TV in my lifetime. I was so embarrassed to be watching it that night, but I knew that there was no way a real man could turn away. BTW, that fast black guy ended up winning the gold in the 100m in the next olympics. It was Justin Gatlin.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That BTW, that fast black guy ended up winning the gold in the 100m in the next olympics. It was Justin Gatlin.
Actually, the one that I saw was Shawn Crawford who, I believe, was on the Gold Medal winning 4x100 team. Zebra wins, but Crawford claims he false started.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/60692/...giraffe_zebra/
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Man, I hate it when I start an urban legend. Oh well, there was still an Olympic gold in there somewhere. On another note, did anyone catch Conan O'Brien the other night when he did the "What if they mated?" piece on Kobayashi? He put Kobayashi with Joey Chestnut and said "what would the kid look like if these two weiner swallowers could have a child?" Then instead of the usual morphed picture of the two, he throws up a picture of Clay Aiken. Pretty funny stuff.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That may have been the single greatest hour of TV in my lifetime. I was so embarrassed to be watching it that night, but I knew that there was no way a real man could turn away. BTW, that fast black guy ended up winning the gold in the 100m in the next olympics. It was Justin Gatlin.
Anyone who did not see that hour of TV I pity. You have not lived a full life without watching Man vs. Beast. The thing that made me mad is some of those damn midgets were loafing it. If all the midgets would have given full effort they would have taken down the elephant, a true triumph for man kind.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Actually, the one that I saw was Shawn Crawford who, I believe, was on the Gold Medal winning 4x100 team. Zebra wins, but Crawford claims he false started.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/60692/...giraffe_zebra/
Zebra beat him in the rematch after the judge ruled it was a false start. That zebra was fast. Crawford kicked the giraffe's butt though.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Anyone who did not see that hour of TV I pity. You have not lived a full life without watching Man vs. Beast. The thing that made me mad is some of those damn midgets were loafing it. If all the midgets would have given full effort they would have taken down the elephant, a true triumph for man kind.
I think you're right. Once the midgets got the plane rolling, a bunch of them totally slacked off. The elephant also got an illegal assist at the start because his trainer was pulling on him which probably helpd him get the plane rolling.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote