cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #21
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. Most people I know on that side of the issue (including me) aren't even thinking about the net change in immigration. We simply want people who shouldn't be here (NJ murderer as Exhibit A) to NOT be here.

I couldn't care less about the net change. Net immigration could increase for all I care ... so long as we know who we're letting in, and what they're doing here.
Nobody disagrees with you, that I know. You just have a funny way of saying it.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #22
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've never heard anyone on the anti-illegal-immigration side of the debate express a desire to see a net negative change in immigration. I think that's a demonization tactic that completely misses the point and ruins the debate.
Tom Tancredo. He clearly advocated that in a presidential debate a couple of months ago. He wants to see all immigration decreased, including legal. I think he's a nut and he doesn't represent the views of most, but he does represent a view that is out there.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Tom Tancredo. He clearly advocated that in a presidential debate a couple of months ago. He wants to see all immigration decreased, including legal. I think he's a nut and he doesn't represent the views of most, but he does represent a view that is out there.
When you have 300 million people, every conceiveable view is out there.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok fine, Tom Tancredo. Way to find an outlier.

My read of santos' statment was much broader than that ("when people say ... they usually mean ..."). But maybe he was talking about Tancredo. He certainly isn't describing me (or, I believe, Indy).
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #25
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok fine, Tom Tancredo. Way to find an outlier.

My read of santos' statment was much broader than that ("when people say ... they usually mean ..."). But maybe he was talking about Tancredo. He certainly isn't describing me (or, I believe, Indy).
a member of the US congress is more than some outlier. An outlier is a nut who lives in a shack in the mountains. Apparently there are enough outliers out there to elect someone like Tancredo.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
a member of the US congress is more than some outlier. An outlier is a nut who lives in a shack in the mountains. Apparently there are enough outliers out there to elect someone like Tancredo.
We can dicker over the meaning of "outlier" but what I mean to say is that I don't think Tancredo is representative of the majority of anti-illegal-immigration advocates.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote