cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I do wonder if China may make its air quality a high priority following the Olympics based on feedback it gets from the world media and on global perception (which is, accurately, that the air quality sucks).
Why would they care?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do wonder if China may make its air quality a high priority following the Olympics based on feedback it gets from the world media and on global perception (which is, accurately, that the air quality sucks).
Nah, world media will just go back to focusing on how America is destroying world air quality.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I'll be darned. Of all the things on Cali's list, I expected this least of all:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...cks/index.html

Terrorist attack from extremist group: check.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #24
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

China gotta do what China gotta do.

Even shame has little effect.

I don't expect any earth-shattering changes post-Olympics. Change will move at China's pace, not ours. Even Google recognized that.

But look back over the past 20 years, even 10 years, and you'll say, "Wow!"

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Why would they care?
Because I think they really do care about image. China appears to be making a move to be considered as a global power. Their flagship city, Beijing, is so filthy most foreigners can't stand to be there for long (or at least are negatively impacted by the pollution). I think China will, over time, find value in enhancing their image.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I'll be darned. Of all the things on Cali's list, I expected this least of all:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...cks/index.html

Terrorist attack from extremist group: check.
There are many dissidents within China, and, additionally, Islaamic fundamentalists are also targeting China for the persecution of Islaam within China. I think it is a very real issue.

Remember all the attention the garbage can bomb got in Atlanta? Multiply the world stage ten fold and the number of oppressed/malcontented people within China by more than that and you have a scary situation on your hands.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #27
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There are many dissidents within China, and, additionally, Islaamic fundamentalists are also targeting China for the persecution of Islaam within China. I think it is a very real issue.

Remember all the attention the garbage can bomb got in Atlanta? Multiply the world stage ten fold and the number of oppressed/malcontented people within China by more than that and you have a scary situation on your hands.
I'll be surprised if there is any major terror event in Beijing or at other venues throughout the country. Even a minor event would be odd. It is a police state after all. Add to that the fact that most Chinese want to present a very good face to the world, and the police state gets lots of cooperation from the population during the Games.

If anything, we may see political and relgious dissidents using the world stage to get their message out. Even they will not receive much support from most Chinese who will see this as embarrassing.

I'm hoping for Phelps to get his eight as well as Levi getting gold in the time trial.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #28
Cali Coug

http://freetibet2008.org/globalactions/tsquare/

And so it begins...