cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why does Dr. Waters favor socialized medicine?
He wants a guaranteed place at the public trough 0 0%
He's jealous of rich private practicing drs. 2 15.38%
M.D. guilt 2 15.38%
He's sincerely concerned about the uninsured poor 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Why does Dr. Waters favor socialized medicine?

Thoughts?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Naivete?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

very few people support a completely non-socialized medical system.

Look at medicare and medicaid and CHIP and sCHIP.

You won't find too many people that argue against the old, the poor, and the children.

I don't think you will find too many small business owners who are very satisfied with the state of the health industry either.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

that's funny as I was going to ask him the same thing...

Doesn't he care that in National Health Insurance the government decides how much you can charge for your services? Would it be alright for the government to tell a law firm how much the may charge all their clients?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

More complaints that I hear:

'THEY WILL TELL YOU WHICH DOCTOR YOU CAN SEE'

Umm, welcome to 2007, most of us have been told which doctors we can see for a long time.

'THEY WILL TELL US WHICH CONDITIONS, MEDICATIONS, AND PROCEDURES ARE APPROVED.'

Umm, hello, that has been the case for a long time in the private sector.

'THE OVERHEAD OF A GOVT. PROGRAM WILL BE TREMENDOUS.'

Compare the overhead of medicare to private health insurance. It's much lower for medicare.

'IF WE HAVE GOVT. HEALTHCARE, IT WILL BE JUST LIKE THE VA, WHICH IS TERRIBLE!'

There are many problems with many VA hospitals, but there are also GREAT things at these hospitals. Tell me one place in Dallas where you can get a 30 day inpatient drug rehab stay if you are indigent. There are many examples like that. Show me one veterans group that is urging the VA hospitals be shut down and replaced with private insurance. You wont' find them.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
that's funny as I was going to ask him the same thing...

Doesn't he care that in National Health Insurance the government decides how much you can charge for your services? Would it be alright for the government to tell a law firm how much the may charge all their clients?
The govt. already decides many healthcare prices. Like medicare and medicaid. Medicare makes up a big chunk of the money that hospitals get.

When a lawyer is appointed by the govt. to defend someone, does that lawyer get to choose his fee? Do those lawyers have to defend these folks? No, they don't.

I'm not advocating doing away with a private system. I just think that a public system that is high-quality may make better sense as we head towards this cliff, due to unsustainable increases of % GDP.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Mormon Red Death

Don't you see the ethical problem with National Health insurance?

they are mandating that you charge what they decide... That wouldn't bother you? why would it be ok for them to tell you what you can charge for your services but a lawyer, shoe salesman, or a grocer can charge what the market bear?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The govt. already decides many healthcare prices. Like medicare and medicaid. Medicare makes up a big chunk of the money that hospitals get.

When a lawyer is appointed by the govt. to defend someone, does that lawyer get to choose his fee? Do those lawyers have to defend these folks? No, they don't.

I'm not advocating doing away with a private system. I just think that a public system that is high-quality may make better sense as we head towards this cliff, due to unsustainable increases of % GDP.
the problem is not everyone of your patients is government funded....a lawyer doesn't have to represent someone. Do you not see the difference. with National Health care there wont be a choice for you
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
the problem is not everyone of your patients is government funded....a lawyer doesn't have to represent someone. Do you not see the difference. with National Health care there wont be a choice for you
It's the same as public school. You are not forced to go to public school. You can go to private school if you wish, but that doesn't mean you don't have to pay taxes to the public school.

Nationalized healthcare would work the same way. You can buy private insurance and bypass the nationalized healthcare system.

By the way, doctors are very much different than lawyers and other other professionals. Doctors work for free all the time. If someone has a bad car wreck, and is taken in for surgery, the surgeon doesn't refuse to do the surgery because the patient can't pay. And no, the hospital doesn't pay the physician. It's the cost of the job.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Don't you see the ethical problem with National Health insurance?

they are mandating that you charge what they decide... That wouldn't bother you? why would it be ok for them to tell you what you can charge for your services but a lawyer, shoe salesman, or a grocer can charge what the market bear?
Why is this different from health insurers' physician networks? I don't think it's an "ethical problem." Today most any dr. gets paid for services to insured patients at a huge discount from their regular rates, and agree in wrinting to look ony to the carrier for payment. On top of that the carriers are pervasively regulated by state government. I see this as a "states rights" issue more than anything.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote