cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
2.8% is a lot.

But the root of the problem is that houses became unaffordable. Prices have to come down.
They became unaffordable because any joe could borrow beyond his means to buy the house of his dreams. That all started on Wall Street. We need to let the values go down and also burn all that confederate money floating around people have been using as currency.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
If so, state what part of the country.

I don't know a single person that has been foreclosed upon. Maybe if I still went to Ward Council and Bishopric, I would know.
No.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #13
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
"Share a back fence"? Is that street jargon for a foreclosure?
Around here that's a euphemism for anal sex. I don't know if the same holds true for Utah.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I purchased a foreclosed house and we still occasionally get the guys' mail. My neighbors said that one night around 10 p.m. a Ryder truck pulled up and he was gone the next day.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I purchased a foreclosed house and we still occasionally get the guys' mail. My neighbors said that one night around 10 p.m. a Ryder truck pulled up and he was gone the next day.
Sounds dangerous. I dont think I will be crashing at your place next Sep when SC plays OSU.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Wow. Someone used a moving truck to move. I'm sure the ripples went through the neighborhood.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Around here that's a euphemism for anal sex. I don't know if the same holds true for Utah.
Since that's so infrequent, they don't develop euphemisms for it. In Wyoming one can see why multiple idioms are necessary.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #18
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If so, state what part of the country.

I don't know a single person that has been foreclosed upon. Maybe if I still went to Ward Council and Bishopric, I would know.
My extended neighborhood, all of which was built in the last 5 years, has maybe four or five hundred homes in it. We are at the very edge of DC suburbia and in that period 5 years ago a phenomenal residential building boom hit this area. Everything was too expensive in Northern Virginia proper and people could come out here and get a new single family home for what they would pay for a 20 year old town house up there. Or a nice new town house for the cost of an old condo up there. Assuming you could handle the hour to hour and a half commute.

Last time I checked, about 40 of those four or five hundred homes are in foreclosure. About six months ago I was looking into picking a foreclosure property up (I didn't ultimately) and used the local GIS system to look into the tax assessed value of the properties, just comparing taxes against market value. The GIS system also shows the first name on the deed and this revealed something almost completely unexpected. All of these foreclosed that I looked at (about 20) with the exception of two showed record owners to be Gonzalez, Matinez, Lopez, Ramirez, etc. All latino.

As I thought about it, it dawned on me for the first time how many of these homes had been occupied by multiple families. It must have been the case that multiple incomes were relied upon to write the loans, and I would be willing to bet that a fair number of these folks were undocumented. This is just anecdotal, but it makes me wonder how many mortgage brokers wrote loans to illegal aliens or at least to poor latino familes, or groups of them, knowing that they weren't good risks. This may just be unique to my area but I still find it interesting.

Also, there is one guy in my ward who is letting a rental property of his go into foreclure (he has no choice) but other than that I don't know anyone personally.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I know several.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #20
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I do. In Orange County.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote