cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
In California it takes an affirmative step in addition to the agreement.
Fair enough. It is not the same everywhere, but so far as I know the completed crime is not required anywhere.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 AM   #22
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Fair enough. It is not the same everywhere, but so far as I know the completed crime is not required anywhere.
We were just going over this in our bar prep class the other day. There are jurisdictions that do both. I think California might be in the minority.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #23
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thats what happens when everyone is carrying guns.
Yeah. Right. The guy is reported to have used a shotgun, you know, those very rare and exotic firearms.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #24
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
We were just going over this in our bar prep class the other day.
You must be having a fun month - the test is the last week of Feb, right?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #25
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
You must be having a fun month - the test is the last week of Feb, right?
I am getting an early jump on July. I will probably have to exile myself from CG during the month leading up to the bar this summer. I expect July to be overflowing with joy.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #26
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Just the other day Professor Cox pointed out that the California bar is, statistically speaking, the most difficult in the nation: approximately 50% pass. If you want a sure thing, she said go to Idaho where 98% pass. In Idaho, who knows if they even address conspiracy exceptions or what.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #27
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Just the other day Professor Cox pointed out that the California bar is, statistically speaking, the most difficult in the nation: approximately 50% pass. If you want a sure thing, she said go to Idaho where 98% pass. In Idaho, who knows if they even address conspiracy exceptions or what.
California is a difficult bar to be sure as many smart people I know and have heard of have failed. That said, there are other factors there inflating that number.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #28
8ballrollin

Quote:
California is a difficult bar to be sure as many smart people I know and have heard of have failed. That said, there are other factors there inflating that number.
I was talking to my brother the other night - he is taking the exam on the 28th – and he mentioned if you remove persons who attended non-aba approved schools and those who do not take the standard prep courses from the equation, the success rate increases somewhere in the neighborhood of 15%.

Still as you mentioned - difficult to be sure.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 AM   #29
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I was talking to my brother the other night - he is taking the exam on the 28th – and he mentioned if you remove persons who attended non-aba approved schools and those who do not take the standard prep courses from the equation, the success rate increases somewhere in the neighborhood of 15%.

Still as you mentioned - difficult to be sure.
Carrying this on a bit further, the California system seems absurd to me. They make the test available to basically anyone and then compensate by making the exam much tougher. The unintended consequence is that they catch a number of smart lawyers on a bad day who then have to put their lives on hold while they take it again.

For crying out loud, only administer the test to those who graduate from an ABA school and bring the difficulty in line with other states.

I remember when I prepared to take the bar I had the realization that law school didn't teach me a damn thing I needed to know (a little hyperbole here). Now having been in practice for several years I realize that when I was done taking the exam I didn't know a damn thing. Someday when I am an old fart attorney like SU Arch and Creekster I'm sure I will look back at myself today and realize I didn't know a damn thing.

The point is, the idea that anyone passing the bar is qualified to do almost anything as a result is a joke. So why not recognize it for what it is: a minimum competency exam. Treat it like one, and then regulate your lawyers with a strong state bar and a requirement of malpractice insurance.

(I passed the VA bar first try, but as I have learned vicariously the CA bar is all out of whack).