cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Watched Bill Maher the other day

and they had Darrel Issa, from California on the show.

He made some good points, I thought.

First, Medicare only pays 70% of what private insurance reimburses. What Blue Cross Blue Shield pays your doc $100 for, Medicare only pays $70. What that means, in effect, is that private insurance is subsidizing Medicare.

Next, 90% of seniors require supplemental insurance to Medicare. If it's so great, why are these folks getting supplemental insurance?

Finally, the plan as it currently stands actually increases the cost of healthcare in the United States, by getting more healthcare to more people, without fundamentally changing anything about the system. We will have the same sick, fat people doing the same things, except more of them will be going to the doctor.

Bill Maher himself addressed the lifestyle issue. I found myself agreeing with Maher. How can we have this conversation and not discuss the terrible habits of Americans?

Issa points out that Europeans do something pretty revolutionary--they walk a lot! Hell, at my work, we have escalators that deliver people 2 floors to the elevator bank. Heaven forbid they actually burn calories.

Creating medicare for everyone is NOT the answer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I can't see an escalator and not think of the bulbous, gelatin people in Wall-E. That's where we're headed.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Issa also mentioned the high fraud-rate that Medicare experiences.

Apparently if you have no oversight, it decreases administrative costs, but leads to more fraud.

Docs like that aspect about Medicare--less hassle (i.e. less oversight). There is nothing more annoying than being asked to call some a-hole administrator trying to justify why your patient needs services and why you should be paid for rendering those services.

Imagine of clients of lawyers could suddenly declare they would no longer pay for already rendered services.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Issa points out that Europeans do something pretty revolutionary--they walk a lot!
Of course they walk a lot. They walk a lot because their cities are not sprawled out lands of suburbia, like most of the U.S. It's generally easier, and very convenient to walk to the market for groceries, rather than drive.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote