cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Bargains

There has to be some incredible bargains out there right now in the stock market. I wish I had more time to do some research.

Anybody scooping up some deals?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
There has to be some incredible bargains out there right now in the stock market. I wish I had more time to do some research.

Anybody scooping up some deals?
Yeah, I bought some "bargains" in the tech market meltdown only to have them fall 80%. The marked is showing no signs of forming a bottom. No one knows what's a bargain because no one knows what anything is worth anymore. I leave it to the "professionals" (yeah, right), to manage my accounts. I bet there were some bargain hunters that bought some WaMu stock really cheap a month ago. The market teaches that no matter your set backs life can always get A LOT worse.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yeah, I bought some "bargains" in the tech market meltdown only to have them fall 80%. The marked is showing no signs of forming a bottom. No one knows what's a bargain because no one knows what anything is worth anymore. I leave it to the "professionals" (yeah, right), to manage my accounts. I bet there were some bargain hunters that bought some WaMu stock really cheap a month ago. The market teaches that no matter your set backs life can always get A LOT worse.
Yeah, I bought some "bargains" on the way down in that meltdown too. It was a painful lesson. But there are lots of companies that are highly unlikely to lose 95% of their value like the dot-coms did. I have been mainly in cash for a year or two so I have been pretty cautious. I don't know if I will have the guts to scoop up some bargains, but it is tempting.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I just buy index funds, which are lower risk but decent return, and right now is a fantastic long-term buying opportunity.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I just buy index funds, which are lower risk but decent return, and right now is a fantastic long-term buying opportunity.
Hmmm.... That's probably the best bet for an amateur like me in a time like this. It's still pretty scary to pull the trigger. But I have to believe that we are going to hit a bottom soon.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
But I have to believe that we are going to hit a bottom soon.

Buy when there's blood in the streets! We've got to be getting close, but who has the balls to guess?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

EWBC. I own it.

Californian bank that caters to Chinese. Chinese always save!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote