cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #21
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I hope the coach of the winning team gets fired.
woohoo!
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ame-fired.aspx
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It's pretty remarkable that this guy is still defending his decision.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a friend who coaches girls high school basketball, and I asked him about it. He said had he been the losing team's coach, he would have ordered his players to "take one player out" to send a message. Ala "The Great Santini."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would have called off the press. Maybe even told my players to not guard them so close that they couldn't get off some shots. If I got really crazy, I might tell my players not to run the break, and to work on half-court sets and outside shots. But again that would risk making the team look even worse. "Wow they think the team is so bad, they are passing on layups to practice 3-pointers." But no way I go to four players.
There are lots of simple things to do in cases like this. Last month my girls played a completely out-matched team. I told them they couldn't press, even at the beginning of the game. I also told them to focus on running our offensive sets and that nobody could shoot (no matter how wide open they were) until at least five passes had been made. They grumbled a bit but they ended up having fun with it. In the second half I told them to stop stealing the ball. Play position defense, put your hands up, and box out for rebounds but don't steal it. They still had a big margin of victory but the coaches and parents from the other team came up to us after the game and expressed how much they appreciated how our girls played. It was a good experience for everybody.