cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default @San Francisco

Good win. Finally a game that felt good.

Finally a game where Haws could be in the background.

Finally a game where we saw that the most dynamic offensive player, at times, can be Matt Carlino.

I was impressed by Collinsworth effectiveness on the offensive side despite his lack of a jumpshot. He really does play at a very athletic level. What guards for BYU can dunk in traffic like he can? Certainly not Haws.

Jay Drew mentioned that Haws had his shot blocked at least 4 times during that game. I was wondering if that is a stat that if officially kept--how many times you have your shot blocked. Haws must be on pace for some kind of record for a non-big. I've never seen someone who has had so many jumpers blocked. Those are almost always turnovers.

Halford quietly scored a lot of points. Mostly on the free throw line. That's usually Haws role.

Mika is.....a bit of a disappointment. He's good on the offensive end. But his defense and rebounding are not there. He is not a good rim protector. ANd arguably not even a good post defender. And he doesn't have a knack for rebounding. This is inexcusable. This is a kid that needs to sack up and be a man. He has the tools....just doesn't have the heart to be a beast. "But Mike he is hurt." Everyone is hurt. Get over it.

We see that Josh Sharp is getting minutes over Worthington. Mainly because Worthington is awful. It begs the question why Sharp was not getting minutes earlier in the season. I can see why Rose would be disappointed in Sharp. On offense they don't guard him because he is no threat with the ball in his hands. He can't shoot or drive or create his own shot. His only role is to set picks. THere were periods in the game where he was the only guy open. On purpose. And then on defense he lacks the size and strength to effectively guard and rebound. If he is not a great defender then really he has no role. Except for the fact that Worthington is just not even a div-1 caliber player.

Bartley has continued to slide down the bench. Rose apparently has lost confidence in him. Winder is now ahead of him, and had the impossible task of guarding a guy weighing 50 more pounds than him and standing a good 5 or 6 inches taller than him. He was abused in the post. I don't know why Rose thought that would work, guarding a WCC 4 position with a 2 guard.

Austin is one of the unsung heroes. Doing the dirty work that Mika refuses to do. No ego. Not looking for shots. I think we need to credit him for his blue collar approach.

And also Carlino for accepting his demotion and making the best of it. It's clear that when he is not on the floor creating, this offense lacks punch. He kept BYU in the game in the first half when they were getting outrebounded by an embarrassing margin.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote