cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default @Pacific last night

Two things happened last night.

One was Kyle Collinsworth's 4th triple double of the season, which tied him for the NCAA record along with a number of others. And now he has the opportunity to break that record and hold it all to himself. Pretty cool for BYU's jack of all trades. Fun how the announcer was declaring him to be the definitive best player on the floor, and of course that means he thinks KC is better than Tyler Haws. Which is true.

I was singing KC's praises before the beginning of last season. It's all coming around.

The other thing that happened was Andrus. Where did he come from? He's been glued to the bench all season, only coming onto the floor in last minute garbage time against bad teams. Looked extremely slow and low-motor in those games.

Then yesterday, due to foul trouble, he came in and played meaningful minutes for the first time that I have seen. High motor. High IQ. Hands. Hit a three pointer. In the right place on defense. Didn't make dumb fouls like our other bigs.

In other words he showed something, and I'm sitting here scratching my head why he has been sitting on the bench this entire time. With all the cruddy play from our bigs, Rose can't find any minutes for a 6'11" guy who knows how to play basketball and has skills?

I'm still scratching my head on Rose ability to evaluate the talent that he has right in front of his nose. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm scratching my head once again.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Two things happened last night.

One was Kyle Collinsworth's 4th triple double of the season, which tied him for the NCAA record along with a number of others. And now he has the opportunity to break that record and hold it all to himself. Pretty cool for BYU's jack of all trades. Fun how the announcer was declaring him to be the definitive best player on the floor, and of course that means he thinks KC is better than Tyler Haws. Which is true.

I was singing KC's praises before the beginning of last season. It's all coming around.

The other thing that happened was Andrus. Where did he come from? He's been glued to the bench all season, only coming onto the floor in last minute garbage time against bad teams. Looked extremely slow and low-motor in those games.

Then yesterday, due to foul trouble, he came in and played meaningful minutes for the first time that I have seen. High motor. High IQ. Hands. Hit a three pointer. In the right place on defense. Didn't make dumb fouls like our other bigs.

In other words he showed something, and I'm sitting here scratching my head why he has been sitting on the bench this entire time. With all the cruddy play from our bigs, Rose can't find any minutes for a 6'11" guy who knows how to play basketball and has skills?

I'm still scratching my head on Rose ability to evaluate the talent that he has right in front of his nose. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm scratching my head once again.

Collinsworth overall better than Haws? Impossible!

Here's what I said almost two years ago that got the idiot factor a little riled up:

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=10256136

I got tired of such low basketball IQ on cougarbored, among other annoying things there. There are a few good basketball posters over there but they tend to get drowned out by all the morons, and the good ones have been posting much less this season.

Andrus played well last night, but he hadn't looked good to me in his limited garbage time this year. Granted, that was in very few minutes. Hopefully he can still make an impact this year.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-16-2015 at 05:49 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Collinsworth overall better than Haws? Impossible!

Here's what I said almost two years ago that got the idiot factor a little riled up:

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=10256136

I got tired of such low basketball IQ on cougarbored, among other annoying things there. There are a few good basketball posters over there but they tend to get drowned out by all the morons, and the good ones have been posting much less this season.

Andrus played well last night, but he hadn't looked good to me in his limited garbage time this year. Granted, that was in very few minutes. Hopefully he can still make an impact this year.
Also, in defense of Haws, he is a great college player and he's made some improvements this year. He's grabbing a few more rebounds and he's getting a few assists every game which he didn't get in past seasons. Physical defense still bothers him, but not nearly as much as last year. He's increased his shooting range a bit and his three point shot is more reliable and consistent than it used to be. 26 points last night is nothing to sneeze at. We need that.

On the other hand, I just don't see him making an NBA roster. Kyle I think actually still has a shot. Given the talent level in the NBA it may not be a great shot, but I think he has a chance to get on a roster at the next level. Haws' game I think translates well to Europe and they'll love him in Spain or somewhere like that.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-16-2015 at 06:02 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

KC has a shot at making an NBA roster, but I would put the odds at less than 1% at this time. I would put the odds of Haws making an NBA roster as less than 0.001%.

KC's problem is that he doesn't have a position that he can play in the NBA. And there have been many that have come before him, much more athletic, that have also flamed out despite being highly drafted, because they were all potential, athleticism, and didn't quite have a position to play.

About Andrus, I think it's foolish to judge a player on garbage time. For one, you are playing with guys who aren't good and aren't generally used to playing with each other. You can't receive good passes, because no good passes are to be had. And guys start hucking whenever they are open.

You can evaluate a guy when he gets meaningful minutes when it matters against good competition.

I hope Rose puts Andrus in the rotation. And starts holding all of these guys more accountable. Guy who plays the best and smartest gets the minutes.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:22 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I went back and watched the Andrus minutes again, focusing on him. I'm not sure that he recorded a rebound. So that's a big downside at this point in his game. He did box out, but it's not clear that he is strong enough to box out, and then go up and grab the ball.

He has good instincts. Make little cuts and things, would have been interesting if they could have fed him on a couple of those cuts. His bucket on the dropoff from Collinsworth was nice. He is probably the only big on the roster who could have made that shot.

Still hope he gets a few more minutes.