cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 01-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Monson has passed yesterday.

The LDS community has changed a lot since 1927, don't you think.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Fond memories of his stories when I was a kid. I preferred his talks to GBH's talks.

Some of TSM's spark seemed to be gone in these years. I'm betting he suffered from more health problems than we as the public knew about.

It really is the end of an era. He associated with church leaders who knew church leaders who knew Joseph Smith. With his passing, we have now officially left the age of David O. McKay and everyone who came before him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

NPR posted their story on his passing on their FB page. The comments were predictably very negative.

The article focused somewhat on his absence from public view during recent controversies.

There has been some fissuring (is that a word?) in the church during his presidency. To what extent, it's hard for me to say. I have noted that many people from my last ward have left the church over these issues. A lot more than I would have expected. People my age or younger. It's a crisis of conscience among these folks where they decided they could no longer stomach the values of the church.

I guess I find that the most frustrating thing about these past years. The times where the actions of the church don't seem to neatly fit with what I have felt are the values of the church. For example, prohibition of baptism of children with gay parents.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
NPR posted their story on his passing on their FB page. The comments were predictably very negative.

The article focused somewhat on his absence from public view during recent controversies.

There has been some fissuring (is that a word?) in the church during his presidency. To what extent, it's hard for me to say. I have noted that many people from my last ward have left the church over these issues. A lot more than I would have expected. People my age or younger. It's a crisis of conscience among these folks where they decided they could no longer stomach the values of the church.

I guess I find that the most frustrating thing about these past years. The times where the actions of the church don't seem to neatly fit with what I have felt are the values of the church. For example, prohibition of baptism of children with gay parents.
Nelson is 93, so I don't know if it's true that we have left that age or not.

But the odd thing is that the LDS Church is never at the forefront of any social issue, always lagging behind. We can start with blacks and the priesthood, and go straight to women and gays.

The Mormon Moment died when the LDS Church backed Proposition 8 in California. Ever since that moment, the LDS Church's public position has been in decline.

Just think what would have happened had some grand revelation been had and the LDS Church had backed gay marriage. Missed opportunities.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

A very strident political position without an articulated doctrine about why persons are gay in the first place.

That's the problem.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

You have to give this man credit. It can't be easy having that kind of responsibility and visibility for so many years. I certainly would not be up to the task. You have to tip your hat. Or pour one out. Depending on your persuasion.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
A very strident political position without an articulated doctrine about why persons are gay in the first place.

That's the problem.
They are Satan's spawn, don't you know? Heavy sarcasm for reading impaired persons.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 AM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
You have to give this man credit. It can't be easy having that kind of responsibility and visibility for so many years. I certainly would not be up to the task. You have to tip your hat. Or pour one out. Depending on your persuasion.
I would not want it. I don't aspire for prominence or power, except enough to protect my family and friends.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:26 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The more I read about President Monson. And I read accounts from people who are upset about the NYT obituary. It reinforces the point that I really did not know the man. I know his public personal from General Conference. And that's it. I didn't know what he was like outside of that. Maybe it was exactly the same all the time. Who knows.

I don't know any of the church leaders.

President Monson was a little bit like my childhood's Uchtdorf. He was the only guy I thought was interesting to listen to. And in some ways that's what makes his presidency so disappointing. Maybe that's not the right word. But my point is that the energy and vitality that I perceived as a youngster never translated into charismatic leadership during his presidency (in my opinion). It probably would have been different had he been president 15 years before he was. Maybe not different in policy. But different in terms of perceived leadership.

In a few snippets that I have read here and there, people are saying that future president Nelson is very conservative. I have no idea. Yeah I know he gave a talk where he defended the recent gay policies to the hilt. But I don't know who he is. I don't know what he's about. I assume he's a very good person who does his best, with the light and knowledge that has been gifted to him. Which is much beyond what I have (I think).

I will say also that I believe when the mantle falls on someone, it can change that person. Even after so many years at the very top of the church leadership. We don't know what the direction and policy will be. It might be different than some expect.

Who am I to steady the ark, but I think this church could use a jolt of positive energy.