cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default A few thoughts on the MWC in basketball

I stand by my claims that the advice of the Bretheren to prepare ourselves with food storage and other emergency preparedness is because of the immense amount of suckiness that will come from the MWC this year. I fear the sucking from this conference could possibly create a vortex of suckiness that will suck in the entire Earth. Of course in this case I'm not sure how having a 72 hour kit will help us, but who am I to question the wide range of people telling me I need to be prepared.

I see the conference in a couple tiers right now.

Tier 1: not very good but good enough to be on top of the other teams that suck.
UNLV: I think they will win the conference, but this team should not have lost to Nevada. It is at home and as the Under Armour people have informed us "Protecting this house" is a great virtue and something that we must do.
Utah: size and depth are an issue with this team, but it still should be enough to keep them in the less sucky range.
Tier 2: teams that simply suck but when they play do not threaten society.
SDSU: would be good if Fisher was not the coach. Seriously when is SDSU going to fire Fisher and hire Heath Schroyer.
Air Force: could be in the higher tier but Jeff Bzdelik sucks as a coach and they do not have Nick Welch for his 10th year of elgibility. I'm pretty sure that Welch actually played against Mark Rydalch in his 10th year at Utah.
BYU: I'm probably just being nice by putting you in this category you probably actually belong in tier 3.
New Mexico: Ritchie McKays collection of transfers will legal problems will probably be good enough to be in this tier.
Tier 3: teams that threaten our society when they play because they may create the vortex of suckiness that will destroy everything.
TCU: they have lost to far to many teams that I did not know exist to be in any other category
CSU: I do not care that they are 5-0 I do not trust Dale Layer Auto.
Wyoming: this will be the end of the rat. They should be fighting it out with SDSU for Heath Schroyer or alternatively they should go after Mike Dunlap.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
cougarstolz

cougarstolz is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds pretty right there, but i'd switch sdsu and utah. i think sdsu is going to be pretty good this year
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default who knows

These result have me wondering if we can say anything definitive yet:

Utah 67 Weber 62
Southern Utah 68 Weber 47
BYU 86 Southern Utah 61
BYU 76 Washington State 68
Washington State 63 Wyoming 47
Utah 67 Utah State 66
Middle Tennessee State 60 Utah State 59
Nevada 68 UNLV 61
Oklahmoa State 80 UNLV 62
Colorado State 83 Colorado 82
Colorado State 77 Auburn 67

Looks like the MWC is all over the place. I see a wide open battle.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
cougarstolz

cougarstolz is an unknown quantity at this point

based on all that, it looks like utah might have a tough time this year. or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part :roll:
Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

This is why I'm glad there is a playoff in college basketball, unlike football, where with the exception of the two Rose Bowl teams, all we have are comparisons of who is better than who.

For example GA Tech lost to Va Tech by 44, and then VA Tech was creamed by Miami at home. So you would think Miami would steamroll GA Tech, right? Nope, GA Tech won.

Like BYU beating CSU and UNM, and Utah losing to CSU and UNM....then Utah beating BYU.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote