cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

P.S. what's better a rich "marginal" fan who buys season tickets and attends <25% of the games or a middle class or poor "marginal" fan who attends the same number of games but does it for less money. The cheapness/class warfare thing going on here is disgusting to me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Class warfare? What a freaking joke. I've seen the per capita income figures on Utah County and the price of basketball season tickets are affordable enough for virtually the entire population of Utah County.

BYU got better attendance for pathetic 2002-2005 BYU football teams at a considerably higher price than the basketball team got for 20+ win NCAA tourney teams at a much lower cost during that same timespan.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Worse BYU teams in the past would average 7,000 to 10,000 more fans per game than recent BYU teams that were 15-6 after 21 games have. This, despite the fact that ticket prices (rafter seats) at best have increased at the rate of inflation and the population base has at least doubled during the last 20 years.

I'm not sure what's your point on this. The BYU athletic dept is facing difficult demographic/market influences. That's true.

Also, I would like to see comparison of ticket prices compared to inflation, just for fun. It seems like my season ticket prices have been going up like 10% per year for a long time. Not that I'm complaining--just curious about the real price comparison to the old days.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Class warfare? What a freaking joke. I've seen the per capita income figures on Utah County and the price of basketball season tickets are affordable enough for virtually the entire population of Utah County.

BYU got better attendance for pathetic 2002-2005 BYU football teams at a considerably higher price than the basketball team got for 20+ win NCAA tourney teams at a much lower cost during that same timespan.
I'm not necessarily talking to you about the class warfare/cheapness argument.

You're making the case that BYU BB just doesn't have that much demand for live attendance. I certainly have no disagreement there.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #15
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Just curious, how would you classify me:

- I've had BB season tickets for 10+ years (CC Golden Cougar - very good seats).
- I don't pay for my BB tickets or my CC membership (my dad pays for them)
- I never attend non-conference BB games
- I only occasionally attend conference BB games (although this year I haven't been to one yet)
- I almost always travel to the conference tournament even though I don't go to all the conference games during the season. I'll be going to Vegas in March.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 01-29-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added the line about the conference tourny
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Just curious, how would you classify me:

- I've had BB season tickets for 10+ years (CC Golden Cougar - very good seats).
- I don't pay for my BB tickets or my CC membership (my dad pays for them)
- I never attend non-conference BB games
- I only occasionally attend conference BB games (although this year I haven't been to one yet)
- I almost always travel to the conference tournament even though I don't go to all the conference games during the season. I'll be going to Vegas in March.
Are you talking to me or Indy or someone else?

I'm lashing back a bit at a group of fans who are ripping on the fans who showed up for the game Saturday, buying the $1 tickets, calling them cheap and questioning BYU for offering the deal.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 AM   #17
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Are you talking to me or Indy or someone else?

I'm lashing back a bit at a group of fans who are ripping on the fans who showed up for the game Saturday, buying the $1 tickets, calling them cheap and questioning BYU for offering the deal.
I guess I'm just asking in general. I think you first used the terms rich marginal fan and poor marginal fan.

Given the factors I listed, would you classify me as a rich marginal fan or a poor marginal fan? Does the fact that I travel to conference tourneys but don't always go to a lot of regular season games affect my marginality?

Just curious what other think...
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I guess I'm just asking in general. I think you first used the terms rich marginal fan and poor marginal fan.

Given the factors I listed, would you classify me as a rich marginal fan or a poor marginal fan? Does the fact that I travel to conference tourneys but don't always go to a lot of regular season games affect my marginality?

Just curious what other think...
You live in SLC, correct? So that's a different animal. Getting to 18 home games a year is more difficult if you're investing 3 hours of drive time to every game.

My categorization is extremely simple but I'm thinking of two fans.

My father-in-law. Wealthy CC member. Has great tickets, lives in Utah County, goes to <25% of games. Has to ask me whether or not Trent Plaisted is left handed.

My neighbor. Makes $60K and supports a stay-at-home mom and five kids. Only game he's been to all year is the AFA game.

I just think it's not cool to rip on the second guy as a cheapskate and praise the first guy as a great fan.