cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any idea on what BYU is doing with its final scholarship for 2008-2009?

All these Utah County D1 hoopsters and BYU has no interest in any of them. Odd, IMO.

Justin Hamilton is going to Iowa State.
Brancken Funk is going to Fresno State.
There is one other, a wing/shooting guard the U was looking at.

Hamilton's dad played football at BYU and his mom played volleyball but he is not LDS. That has to be a statistical anomaly. Is he african-american and is his dad Waymon?

Regardless, most of these kids seem far more highly recruited than Charles Abuou, yet that is the one heading to Provo. I looked at the BYU roster and it appears that both Nick Martineau and Matt Pinegar are walking on this year. That gives BYU 5-6 point guards, and I am not sure anyone is actually a legitimate division 1 pg. I do think Murdock will be solid and I like the idea of a non-LDS pg in Lloyd that could hopefully develop into a solid true point guard with athleticism not usually seen at BYU.

However, I wonder what the final spot for 2008-2009 is being reserved for. Perhaps another JC pg if Morgan cannot develop?

The roster for next year is:

PG: Morgan (SR), Lloyd (SO), Pinegar (SO) JC Transfer???
SG: Cummard (SR), Fredette (SO), Emery (SO)
WF: Rose (SR), Abuou (FR)
PF: Tavernari (JR), Harstock (FR)
C: Plaisted (SR), Anderson (SO), Miles (SO), Macgregor (SR)

Macgregor and Pinegar are both walk ons and I am assuming Trent Plaisted ain't going pro after this year. I also am assuming neither Fredette or Abuou are mission bound.

I believe the Y will redshirt Miles this year. With Vuk Ivanovic and Gavin Macgregor there are two solid back ups at the 5. Anderson will not redshirt and will probably be an emergency 5 in case of foul trouble or injuries. He could use a redshirt, but so can Chris and I think long term Chris has the athletic ability to make a bigger impact on the BYU program. Further, Anderson can redshirt next year.

The word I hear is Chris Collinsworth is probably going to make a decent splash as a freshman. I doubt he is as good as Tavernari or Plaisted, but his athleticism might afford him some minutes similar to Jackson Emery two years ago. The point I am making with Collinsworth is that him emerging as a legitimate contributor gives BYU two 4's in him and Tavernari. With these two at the 4, I don't see much time for Trent at the 4 which means Trent will play 28-30 mpg at the 5. This all leads to Miles redshirting as he won't see the minutes to justify wasting a year of elgibility. Besides that he was awwwwful in France, albeit he had been home from his mission like 2 weeks when they left. LOL! Imagine trying to play division one hoops two weeks removed from a mission...imagine playing any level of hoops.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
All these Utah County D1 hoopsters and BYU has no interest in any of them. Odd, IMO.

Justin Hamilton is going to Iowa State.
Brancken Funk is going to Fresno State.
There is one other, a wing/shooting guard the U was looking at.

Hamilton's dad played football at BYU and his mom played volleyball but he is not LDS. That has to be a statistical anomaly. Is he african-american and is his dad Waymon?

Regardless, most of these kids seem far more highly recruited than Charles Abuou, yet that is the one heading to Provo. I looked at the BYU roster and it appears that both Nick Martineau and Matt Pinegar are walking on this year. That gives BYU 5-6 point guards, and I am not sure anyone is actually a legitimate division 1 pg. I do think Murdock will be solid and I like the idea of a non-LDS pg in Lloyd that could hopefully develop into a solid true point guard with athleticism not usually seen at BYU.

However, I wonder what the final spot for 2008-2009 is being reserved for. Perhaps another JC pg if Morgan cannot develop?

The roster for next year is:

PG: Morgan (SR), Lloyd (SO), Pinegar (SO) JC Transfer???
SG: Cummard (SR), Fredette (SO), Emery (SO)
WF: Rose (SR), Abuou (FR)
PF: Tavernari (JR), Harstock (FR)
C: Plaisted (SR), Anderson (SO), Miles (SO), Macgregor (SR)

Macgregor and Pinegar are both walk ons and I am assuming Trent Plaisted ain't going pro after this year. I also am assuming neither Fredette or Abuou are mission bound.

I believe the Y will redshirt Miles this year. With Vuk Ivanovic and Gavin Macgregor there are two solid back ups at the 5. Anderson will not redshirt and will probably be an emergency 5 in case of foul trouble or injuries. He could use a redshirt, but so can Chris and I think long term Chris has the athletic ability to make a bigger impact on the BYU program. Further, Anderson can redshirt next year.

The word I hear is Chris Collinsworth is probably going to make a decent splash as a freshman. I doubt he is as good as Tavernari or Plaisted, but his athleticism might afford him some minutes similar to Jackson Emery two years ago. The point I am making with Collinsworth is that him emerging as a legitimate contributor gives BYU two 4's in him and Tavernari. With these two at the 4, I don't see much time for Trent at the 4 which means Trent will play 28-30 mpg at the 5. This all leads to Miles redshirting as he won't see the minutes to justify wasting a year of elgibility. Besides that he was awwwwful in France, albeit he had been home from his mission like 2 weeks when they left. LOL! Imagine trying to play division one hoops two weeks removed from a mission...imagine playing any level of hoops.
I don't know much about those Utah County players. I remember reading on the recruiting blog someone posted here in the FB forum about a player at Lone Peak? who was largely being ignored by in state schools but was being pursued by Fresneck. Is that Funk?

Trent Plaisted will not play minutes at the 4, because he is not a college 4, and Rose errors on going small than big anyway.

Miles was a wreck offensively his freshman year. He is great defensively, but probaby not ready to start, even if he weren't suffering from mission legs.

I saw Loyd play in pick up ball and I like him. Cat quick and could shoot. If he has the right stuff, mentally, he should develop into a nice player.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

BStod over on cougarboard coaches at Lone Peak, he told me that they have 5 legit D-1 kids all with offers.

He said that Funk is very good but teams layed off of him when he tore his ACL only Fresno kept in touch.

They also have a 6'11 center that is very tough as well.

In two years if BYU can land Tyler Haws and CJ Wilcox we will have one of the best recruiting classes ever, those two will end up being the two highest rated recruits ever to come out of the state of utah, higher than britton johnsen and Garner Meads.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
BStod over on cougarboard coaches at Lone Peak, he told me that they have 5 legit D-1 kids all with offers.

He said that Funk is very good but teams layed off of him when he tore his ACL only Fresno kept in touch.

In two years if BYU can land Tyler Haws and CJ Wilcox we will have one of the best recruiting classes ever, those two will end up being the two highest rated recruits ever to come out of the state of utah, higher than britton johnsen and Garner Meads.
The 6'11" center is Hamilton. I read the blog and it said his father played football at BYU and his mother played volleyball but he was not interested in BYU because he was not LDS.

I thought it really weird for a kid to live in Utah County have both his mom and dad be former BYU athletes and him not be LDS. My guess is if they were non-LDS BYU athletes who married and stayed in Utah County they would not have issues with BYU and probably would want their kid to go there, the fact that he has no interest in BYU leads me to believe his mom and dad are not exactly still enamored with the LDS Church.

This is why I asked if he was Waymon Hamilton's son, although if it is it would break my heart to know the guy who caught that 4th and 10 pass from Steve Young, that kept the game winning drive alive against Missouri, is no longer fully invested in the BYU.

My guess is that cougjunkie hit the nail on the head. Rose is aiming all things to landing Wilcox and Haws. I can't imagine Marty's boy not going to BYU in the end.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

IIRC, Waymon Hamilton fell afoul of the law a few years ago, and it wasn't a pretty story. But since I'm not sure if it was him or another RB from that era, I won't go into further details.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

The good thing is that you will not land Tyler Haws. I feel pretty confident that he is going to end up out of state. This kid is getting legit interest from Duke and UNC, and you don't pass that up for the opportunity to play for a team that doesn't win in the NCAA tournament.

I think one thing that is really interesting is that Boylen has actually got Haws to take about 3 unofficial visits to Utah. This is impressive for a new guy to come in and get a son of a Zoob to actually listen to the Utes. Not that I think the Utes will get Haws.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
My guess is that cougjunkie hit the nail on the head. Rose is aiming all things to landing Wilcox and Haws. I can't imagine Marty's boy not going to BYU in the end.
You really think that Haws is going to turn down UNC or Duke. He can challenge for a National Championship or he can go play where daddy played and challenge to lose on the first day of the NCAA tournament.

The only thing that makes sense if he wants to stay in state is if Boylen turns things around at Utah. That way he can stay local and win a NCAA Tournament game.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Haws can do what he wants. But heaven forbid he commit to BYU then renege.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
You really think that Haws is going to turn down UNC or Duke. He can challenge for a National Championship or he can go play where daddy played and challenge to lose on the first day of the NCAA tournament.

The only thing that makes sense if he wants to stay in state is if Boylen turns things around at Utah. That way he can stay local and win a NCAA Tournament game.
funk, how familiar are you with mormon athletes and BYU?

Yes, I think BYU has a very good chance of landing Haws and IMO BYU is the most likely destination for him.

History has indicated the BYU gets the majority of the top notch LDS kids it goes after. Especially those from Utah.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
mpfunk

I don't know anything about CJ Wilcox, but it looks like Rose has a long way to go to get him.

Scout lists the schools he is interested in as Utah, Arizona St, and Fresno St. There is an article stating he has a top 3, but I cannot read it because I don't have a subscription. I would assume that the top 3 of the 3 listed.

I guess you guys could have relied on Jace Tavita (assuming he qualifies of course) but well we took that option away from you. It is really exciting to me that Boylen, despite 2 terrible seasons is able to beat BYU out for a recruit.