cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
funk, how familiar are you with mormon athletes and BYU?

Yes, I think BYU has a very good chance of landing Haws and IMO BYU is the most likely destination for him.

History has indicated the BYU gets the majority of the top notch LDS kids it goes after. Especially those from Utah.
I agree in football, but I don't think this is necessarily the case in the superior sport of college hoops. There was a period of time where the LDS Utah kids were choosing Utah, despite the horrors of the six inch defense and cursing of Majerus.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I don't know anything about CJ Wilcox, but it looks like Rose has a long way to go to get him.

Scout lists the schools he is interested in as Utah, Arizona St, and Fresno St. There is an article stating he has a top 3, but I cannot read it because I don't have a subscription. I would assume that the top 3 of the 3 listed.

I guess you guys could have relied on Jace Tavita (assuming he qualifies of course) but well we took that option away from you. It is really exciting to me that Boylen, despite 2 terrible seasons is able to beat BYU out for a recruit.
It is exciting to us that BYU wins a championship and goes to the NCAA's, it is exciting to you that BYU loses in the first round of the NCAA and wins the verbal commitment for a recruit that BYU did not try to terribly hard for and who is likely to have to go to a JC.

We all have our rallying points. Bear with us during our walk of shame.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
I agree in football, but I don't think this is necessarily the case in the superior sport of college hoops. There was a period of time where the LDS Utah kids were choosing Utah, despite the horrors of the six inch defense and cursing of Majerus.
If I recall that period has long since ended, correct?

BYU has been getting the majority of the top notch LDS hoopsters, especially from the state of Utah. However, there aren't too many of them.

I still think BYU will go to the NCAA and lose in the first round again, think what you have to look forward to!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
mpfunk

Quote:
It is exciting to us that BYU wins a championship and goes to the NCAA's, it is exciting to you that BYU loses in the first round of the NCAA and wins the verbal commitment for a recruit that BYU did not try to terribly hard for and who is likely to have to go to a JC.

We all have our rallying points. Bear with us during our walk of shame.
Well you take what you can get for now. Now that the Utes have another fat coach who swears a lot back on campus, it will just be a matter of time until the Utes can once again enjoy winning NCAA tournament games while BYU loses one yet again.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Well you take what you can get for now. Now that the Utes have another fat coach who swears a lot back on campus, it will just be a matter of time until the Utes can once again enjoy winning NCAA tournament games while BYU loses one yet again.
I don't know much about Boylen, but I have been impressed with his recruiting. The big guy from the midwest and the wing player from Wichita are solid pick ups, IMO.

I like how he approaches things. I think he will be a fine coach at Utah.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #16
mpfunk

Quote:
I don't know much about Boylen, but I have been impressed with his recruiting. The big guy from the midwest and the wing player from Wichita are solid pick ups, IMO.

I like how he approaches things. I think he will be a fine coach at Utah.
There has already been a pretty big change in quality of guys that Boylen has brought in compared to Giacoletti. No one really knows if these guys pan out, but you have to feel better when you are beating out Big 12, Big 10, and Pac-10 teams for recruits instead of low level WCC teams and Sun Belt teams.

I think that Boylen's NBA ties have already paid off with his recruiting. Another big thing is how he has really started to get the former players involved again. KVH didn't even know Giacoletti's name or what was going on at Utah, now he is meeting recruits when they come to town. Cyphers and Washburn both talked about Boylen's NBA ties in getting them to Utah.
I played the role of Chris Hill supporter with Giacoletti, but in all honesty (despite my vocal supporter) I never was that enamored with him. Boylen I have felt good about from the get go. It also helps the Izzo has a nice coaching tree.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
You really think that Haws is going to turn down UNC or Duke. He can challenge for a National Championship or he can go play where daddy played and challenge to lose on the first day of the NCAA tournament.

The only thing that makes sense if he wants to stay in state is if Boylen turns things around at Utah. That way he can stay local and win a NCAA Tournament game.
UNC isn't recruiting him as hard as they used to be. According to who I've talked to the 3 programs going after him the hardest right now are Stanford, BYU and Utah.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't know much about those Utah County players. I remember reading on the recruiting blog someone posted here in the FB forum about a player at Lone Peak? who was largely being ignored by in state schools but was being pursued by Fresneck. Is that Funk?

Trent Plaisted will not play minutes at the 4, because he is not a college 4, and Rose errors on going small than big anyway.

Miles was a wreck offensively his freshman year. He is great defensively, but probaby not ready to start, even if he weren't suffering from mission legs.

I saw Loyd play in pick up ball and I like him. Cat quick and could shoot. If he has the right stuff, mentally, he should develop into a nice player.

I read Lloyd's bio, it says he has been going to BYU summer camps since Junior High. I found that strange, I could understand the past few years as Dave Rice played with Lloyd's dad at UNLV but since Junior High?

Perhaps they meant since his junior year of High School.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I read Lloyd's bio, it says he has been going to BYU summer camps since Junior High. I found that strange, I could understand the past few years as Dave Rice played with Lloyd's dad at UNLV but since Junior High?

Perhaps they meant since his junior year of High School.
Why is that so strange?

There are tons of kids that start going to sports camps of all kinds from a young age and continue to go throughout high school and that includes out of staters.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
UNC isn't recruiting him as hard as they used to be. According to who I've talked to the 3 programs going after him the hardest right now are Stanford, BYU and Utah.
I highly doubt any huge program is going to waste the time and energy to recruit an LDS kid from Utah whose dad played for BYU or Utah.

1.) How many non big men from the state of Utah have ever panned out?

2.) Is he that much better than a kid that isn't mormon and won't have all the issues with respect to environment and possible mission service?

I just don't think the cost benefit is there to spend the resources on him unless he makes it clear from the get go that he wants to leave Utah.

We shall see how things develop, but I have long believed that if BYU made him a huge priority it was more likely than not he would choose BYU.