cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Analysis of BYU after Lousiville and UNC

Let me preface this by pointing out that I was so excited by the wins this weekend I was not in a position to analyze the games BYU played. They were too fresh emotionally and I couldn't think clearly. Now that I can think clearly, here are some thoughts.

BYU can run -- One thing about Pitino's teams, whether his best players are playing or not, is that they can run. They can always run. They usually run half court teams into the ground and force them into ugly mistakes late when they get tired. The reason Rick does this is because he knows he can recruit and prepare greater depth than most programs in the country. He has more guys with All-American athleticism and skill than most.
UNC has a similar style this year. They can also run. Both of these teams can rebound, both can fast break, both can exert defensive pressure. Astonishingly, BYU ran with Lousiville then ran with UNC for most of the night. Unfortunately, BYU lost its legs down the stretch against UNC and long range shots started to land short. I think that is more a result of back to back games against great opposition than an indication of BYU's lack of ability and depth.
The net out of this revelation, MSU is in trouble. They are coming to SLC to play BYU. Playing at altitude against a team that lives at altitude and is already trying to run you into the ground spells disaster for MSU. Additional information to be derived from this tournament, BYU could be dangerous to anyone in the NCAA tournament if the venue is in the high mountains. I feel sorry for anyone that tries to run with us at altitude.

Senior guards from JCs are paying off -- Many people wondered why we had roster spots for Murdock and Burgess..the reason we have them can be summarized in one word "efficiency."

Collinsworth still my freshman of the year -- Whenever we face a team where Tavernari can't guard their 4 we will put Cummard on him. The result will be foul trouble for Cummard. Collinsworth can step in, rebound and play D. On this team, that is going to be more valuable than Fredette's ability to score.

Rose can recruit -- Murdock, Tavernari, Fredette, Loyd, Collinsworth, Martineau...all great pick ups and some of them are real sleepers talent wise.

Plaisted has improved -- Most people are talking about Plaisted's ability to score as the biggest improvement in his game. I think his biggest improvement is his ability to restrain himself. Last year if he caught the ball in the post, he was taking it to the hole. This year he is feeling the D, sighting passing lanes and double teams, and then deciding what to do. Often his decision is to pass. Nothing kills a double team on a big man like a motion offense with a good passing big man.

Zone's may stop Plaisted but will lose you the game -- Tavernari's ability to score and pass from the high post coupled with a team of dudes who can shoot from deep make the 2-3 zone useless against BYU. This rule does not change if you have great athletes, ask Lousiville.

I'm increasingly excited about this team. They have the ability to make noise. Hopefully they aren't peaking too soon and continue to improve.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good post

I like your point on why BYU tired at the end against UNC.

I also think Trent's competitive nature, aggression and defense has improved significantly. Trent now plays like he hates losing with a passion and is not intimidated by contact in the post on offense or defense. That is huge, IMO.

It is indeed a golden age my friends.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

While I agree that we do not match the depth of the UNCs of the world, in fairness to BYU, we played the #6 team and the #1 team on back-to-back nights.

Nobody in the country ever has to do that, even during March.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
While I agree that we do not match the depth of the UNCs of the world, in fairness to BYU, we played the #6 team and the #1 team on back-to-back nights.

Nobody in the country ever has to do that, even during March.
Luckily we played them in Vegas. If it was a lower altitude we would have had more trouble. If it had been in Denver we probably win both.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

UNC can run. But without Lawson we didn't see them really run. But I agree, playing back to back against a good team and a great team contributed to the lack of legs. Don't forget also the impact emotion can have also.

As far as the guard play I am not enthusiastic about any of them really. Murdock is adequate but I don't think much of Burgess. And from there it drops off. I cringe when Lloyd comes into the game. He's a turnover waiting to happen.

The fact that we hung with UNC with all of the fouls and TOs and the 6+ minutes without a FG is amazing. I think they handled the nerves for the most part until they all tried to get back into the game with one shot and went away from Plaisted. Ellington's 3 was the dagger. If that doesn't go in I think the Cougars make that game much more interesting than they did.

This is a good team. They should run the MWC and get at least one tourney win. I expect BYU to beat MSU decisively.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
UNC can run. But without Lawson we didn't see them really run. But I agree, playing back to back against a good team and a great team contributed to the lack of legs. Don't forget also the impact emotion can have also.

As far as the guard play I am not enthusiastic about any of them really. Murdock is adequate but I don't think much of Burgess. And from there it drops off. I cringe when Lloyd comes into the game. He's a turnover waiting to happen.

The fact that we hung with UNC with all of the fouls and TOs and the 6+ minutes without a FG is amazing. I think they handled the nerves for the most part until they all tried to get back into the game with one shot and went away from Plaisted. Ellington's 3 was the dagger. If that doesn't go in I think the Cougars make that game much more interesting than they did.

This is a good team. They should run the MWC and get at least one tourney win. I expect BYU to beat MSU decisively.
I'm a fan of Burgess because he defends well and is efficient. He doesn't score a lot because he doesn't shoot a lot but he does score when he shoots. I love that he gets his shots without taking shots from TP or JT. Murdock is the same at the PG spot. He is efficient, he defends, he doesn't have to detract from others to contribute. I think he is better than Ainge or Broadus last year and Burgess is better than Rose/Balderson.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the 1 and 2 positions were the obvious weak points against UNC. due to lack of speed and athleticism. That's why Fredette hardly got a sniff and Loyd was in at same time with Murdock.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I'm a fan of Burgess because he defends well and is efficient. He doesn't score a lot because he doesn't shoot a lot but he does score when he shoots. I love that he gets his shots without taking shots from TP or JT. Murdock is the same at the PG spot. He is efficient, he defends, he doesn't have to detract from others to contribute. I think he is better than Ainge or Broadus last year and Burgess is better than Rose/Balderson.
I'd agree with your assessment that they're better than last year's. I still think they struggle to get the ball inside and force entry passes from bad angles. But they are serviceable and efficient without taking aways shots as you stated. I do wish we could have someone who could break down a defense and penetrate if needs be. If we can continue to work the inside-out game though it won't be as critical, but it'd be a nice option.

I sound like a whiner. We're ranked with a chance to move up again in a week and a half. I should just be content.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Louisville was hurt and worn out. It had to play some scrubs. NC is overrated. Roy Williams is like Giacoletti with the best players in the country. Also, coaches always paise opponents. I wouldn't pay any attention to what Williams said. Their motivation for doing so is obvious. BYU is overrated.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Louisville was hurt and worn out. It had to play some scrubs. NC is overrated. Roy Williams is like Giacoletti with the best players in the country. Also, coaches always paise opponents. I wouldn't pay any attention to what Williams said. Their motivation for doing so is obvious. BYU is overrated.
So is Santa Clara.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote