cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
JT only has to eliminate the 3 or 4 ridiculous shots a game and he'll be fine. I still love his gunning ways as he puts tremendous pressure on the defense. He'll throw up 12 points in 2 minutes if you don't guard him. How many teams have a 4 that is a legitimate threat from 23 feet? UNC quit doubling Trent because JT was killing them. Better to give up 2 than 3.
JT's effectiveness beyond the arc effectively eliminates bringing the other big to double Plaisted. No 4 can rotate to three quickly enough to make doubling effective. Bringing the double from a wing is less effective and subject to the same risk of good shooting wings. This is one of the main reasons I said before the season we would be better this year than last.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #12
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I'm sure that Michigan St respects BYU as an opponent, but they have seen a lot more difficult challenges than BYU thrown their way on a consistent basis.

One thing that I'm really interested in seeing with BYU is how they respond to a very physical and aggressive defensive style like Michigan St. I think UNC is a better team than Michigan St, but Michigan St is a tougher matchup for BYU. UNC is a team that isn't going to punch you in the mouth like Michigan St will.
NOrht Carolina is pretty damn physical this year, what with Tyler Hansbrough et al. I think you were confused by the baby blue uniforms, which usually lend themselves to a more YOhio/Utestar type of play.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
NOrht Carolina is pretty damn physical this year, what with Tyler Hansbrough et al. I think you were confused by the baby blue uniforms, which usually lend themselves to a more YOhio/Utestar type of play.

Maybe North Carolina has completely changed their style of play, but Roy Williams teams have never been known for physical defense. Roy Williams teams have always been finesse teams.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe North Carolina has completely changed their style of play, but Roy Williams teams have never been known for physical defense. Roy Williams teams have always been finesse teams.
?

Just because a team runs doesn't mean they are not physical. UNC runs a ton of players in and out and they get after you on defense. Their defense is what creates their fast break offense. They pressure you on the perimeter and they body you down low.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:25 AM   #15
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
?

Just because a team runs doesn't mean they are not physical. UNC runs a ton of players in and out and they get after you on defense. Their defense is what creates their fast break offense. They pressure you on the perimeter and they body you down low.
Roy Williams is not and never has been a good defensive coach.

Izzo on the other hand is a great defensive coach. Michigan St is going to play man-to-man defense on you. If you go to the basket you are going to end up on your ass. They will protect the paint. They will play position defense over gambling for steals like UNC.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #16
jay santos

Quote:
Roy Williams is not and never has been a good defensive coach.

Izzo on the other hand is a great defensive coach. Michigan St is going to play man-to-man defense on you. If you go to the basket you are going to end up on your ass. They will protect the paint. They will play position defense over gambling for steals like UNC.
You've got this obsession with knocking people down in the pain like it's some kind of manly ego thing for you. UNC plays some of the best defense in the nation. Their defense creates their up tempo style that kills teams.

You know what happens when you knock someone on their ass every time they go in the paint? You get called for a foul and they go to the free throw line, and you end up fouling out everyone and the other team beats you by 20 points by knocking their free throws down.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #17
mpfunk

Quote:
You've got this obsession with knocking people down in the pain like it's some kind of manly ego thing for you. UNC plays some of the best defense in the nation. Their defense creates their up tempo style that kills teams.

You know what happens when you knock someone on their ass every time they go in the paint? You get called for a foul and they go to the free throw line, and you end up fouling out everyone and the other team beats you by 20 points by knocking their free throws down.
No you knock people down and they get tentative and don't go in the lane anymore.

Last year Michigan St was 6th in the nation in FG% defense allowing opponents to shoot 38.4%. North Carolina wasn't in the top 50

North Carolina presses and tries to force turnovers. The slap at your hands a lot going for steals, but they don't get in your face in the post. They certainly don't force you into taking tough shots.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
No you knock people down and they get tentative and don't go in the lane anymore.

Last year Michigan St was 6th in the nation in FG% defense allowing opponents to shoot 38.4%. North Carolina wasn't in the top 50

North Carolina presses and tries to force turnovers. The slap at your hands a lot going for steals, but they don't get in your face in the post. They certainly don't force you into taking tough shots.
Funk you have a lot to learn about winning basketball. Half court defense is only one part of the game. UNC's pressure D creates TO's and point for its offense.

My high school coach was a Heathcote protege, just as Izzo is, so I know that style of basketball. But it's not the only style.

I looked up Mich State and UNC's stats for last year. If you look at FG's, 3 pt FG's, FT's, and TO's, I created a total possession stat and a total points per possession stat.

UNC = .80
Mich St = .795

So over a game, this is about a half point difference in defensive points allowed per possession (would have been nice to figure in off reb allowed but that stat wasn't available and both teams had wide reb margins so probably a wash).

Mich State beats UNC in FG% but UNC kills Mich State in TO's forced. If I was even on points allowed per possession I would much rather force more TO's than have a lower FG% allowed if that was the choice, since TO's forced = fast break buckets on the offensive side.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
mpfunk

Quote:
Funk you have a lot to learn about winning basketball. Half court defense is only one part of the game. UNC's pressure D creates TO's and point for its offense.

My high school coach was a Heathcote protege, just as Izzo is, so I know that style of basketball. But it's not the only style.

I looked up Mich State and UNC's stats for last year. If you look at FG's, 3 pt FG's, FT's, and TO's, I created a total possession stat and a total points per possession stat.

UNC = .80
Mich St = .795

So over a game, this is about a half point difference in defensive points allowed per possession (would have been nice to figure in off reb allowed but that stat wasn't available and both teams had wide reb margins so probably a wash).

Mich State beats UNC in FG% but UNC kills Mich State in TO's forced. If I was even on points allowed per possession I would much rather force more TO's than have a lower FG% allowed if that was the choice, since TO's forced = fast break buckets on the offensive side.

I watched the best defensive coach in the game for 15 years at Utah. I think that has taught me enough about great defense. I'm not saying you can't be a good defensive team playing a different style, I'm saying that UNC is not a good defensive team in comparison to Michigan St. UNC gives up to many open looks and easy shots by gambling for steals. It is the same shit that Giacoletti tried to do at Utah that destroyed the program.

Roy Williams can have a good defense only when he has the best athletes in the country and just beat people with pure athleticism. Izzo can have lesser players, yet still have a great defense.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
I watched the best defensive coach in the game for 15 years at Utah. I think that has taught me enough about great defense. I'm not saying you can't be a good defensive team playing a different style, I'm saying that UNC is not a good defensive team in comparison to Michigan St. UNC gives up to many open looks and easy shots by gambling for steals. It is the same shit that Giacoletti tried to do at Utah that destroyed the program.

Roy Williams can have a good defense only when he has the best athletes in the country and just beat people with pure athleticism. Izzo can have lesser players, yet still have a great defense.
Fair enough. North Carolina had a better defense than Roy Williams last year, but we can arbitrarily declare Izzo's style better because he didn't have as good of athletes. And we can call the fat man the best defensive coach in the nation even though his teams regularly couldn't break 50 points against some of the weakest teams in the country. Because at the end of the game team who knocks most players down in the paint wins the game.