cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #41
PortlandAggie

PortlandAggie is on a distinguished road

I think you people are confusing bigotry with "making fun of". Bigotry is a complete intolerance; it's not "making fun of" ones religion (not that it's a nice thing to do, however).
PortlandAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #42
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandAggie View Post
I think you people are confusing bigotry with "making fun of". Bigotry is a complete intolerance; it's not "making fun of" ones religion (not that it's a nice thing to do, however).
so racial jokes are okay then? since it's just making fun?

btw, I had an aggie tell me today there is no way our "26 year old white gjuys" could hang with their inner-city kids. I then asked him if athletics was the only way inner-city kids were allowed on campus. His reply was that they have a "special program for them" and there is not any white guys on the team anymore. Scary stuff.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandAggie View Post
I agree with this guy that making fun of is not necessarily bogotry. Is Blues Brothers a bigoted film? How about SNL's Church lady? Father Vito Sarducci? Are South Park's spoofs on religion bigoted? I don't know what the TAM fans have done vis-a-vis Mormonism, but "religius bigotry" is a ridiculously overused term.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #44
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I agree with this guy that making fun of is not necessarily bogotry. Is Blues Brothers a bigoted film? How about SNL's Church lady? Father Vito Sarducci? Are South Park's spoofs on religion bigoted? I don't know what the TAM fans have done vis-a-vis Mormonism, but "religius bigotry" is a ridiculously overused term.
Have you found CG posters to be overly sensitive on religious matters? When SoonerCoug and MikeWaters are leading the charge, it's a little more than stale polygamy jokes.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Have you found CG posters to be overly sensitive on religious matters? When SoonerCoug and MikeWaters are leading the charge, it's a little more than stale polygamy jokes.
I think more than anything else Sooner and Waters like a fight. But I haven't read this thread except the very end of it and don't intend to because I don't want anything to interfere with the ardor of my rooting for A&M tomorrow.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #46
TexasAg

TexasAg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
not it's not, he is making a big deal about nothing more than 'game week joking around'
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
so racial jokes are okay then? since it's just making fun?

btw, I had an aggie tell me today there is no way our "26 year old white gjuys" could hang with their inner-city kids. I then asked him if athletics was the only way inner-city kids were allowed on campus. His reply was that they have a "special program for them" and there is not any white guys on the team anymore. Scary stuff.
the sort of attitude is frighteningly familiar on that other board I was kicked off of, and Zulu, an A&M grad, confirms the hostile environment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #48
TexasAg

for those that are uncertain go to Texags.com yourself instead of taking someones word for it that IS exaggerating

Last edited by TexasAg; 03-19-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.a...=2&forum_id=15

Quote:
To try and generalize Texas A&M based on the actions of some on this board is ridiculous. I am a Muslim, and I love this board. I love everyone on here, even those who may deride and ridicule my religion.

As a Muslim in the Corps of Cadets(supposedly the most bigoted of all students), I faced many questions about my religion, even some ridicule. However, most who asked me questions came to understand my faith, and respect it as well. I was free to practice my faith without threat of harassment whatsoever. I even had Christian chaplains within the Corps encourage a position for a Muslim chaplain. I can't say I didn't experience some intolerance, but I experienced a whole lot more tolerance.

I think something you have to understand as a religious minority is most people are going to naturally view your faith as wrong. Some will feel threatened by it, and then a few will even resort to hateful and vitriolic means in order to further degrade your faith. However, if your return course of action is to label them as ignorant and intolerant, and in turn discontinue defending your faith, then my friend, they have won. Your best hope as a minority is to love them, try and understand where they come from, and continue to share what it is inside of you that makes your faith so great. You will see that most people in our great nation (or this board, or Texas A&M University) will come to understand, and even begin to respect your beliefs.

Listen, I feel you on the fact it sucks to have people ridicule your practices or judge your faith based on the actions of others. Trust me, some of the sickest and craziest people in this world claim to base their very being on the religion that has made me a good man. But if you truly believe in your church and their actions, defend them with love, don't go throwing the same bull dung that others have launched at you. I think had Jesus(pbuh) gone to Jerusalem A&M and seen hateful things on JesAgs.com about Christianity, he would have responded in a loving manner, never backing down from what he believed in.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #50
TexasAg

that isn't protraying the negative views you think it is, I particularly like this paragraph

Quote:
However, most who asked me questions came to understand my faith, and respect it as well. I was free to practice my faith without threat of harassment whatsoever. I even had Christian chaplains within the Corps encourage a position for a Muslim chaplain. I can't say I didn't experience some intolerance, but I experienced a whole lot more tolerance.
MOST of even the most bigoted students respected and understood his faith. Not only that but he finishes by saying he experienced a WHOLE LOT MORE tolerance than intolerance.

this was supposed to HELP your claims?