cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A rather telling article...

about former Baylor assistant basketball coach Abar Rouse and how messed up college sports can be, especially when a scumbag like Dave Bliss can end up back coaching anything other than a prison team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ana&id=3371852

Do any of the Krzyzewski defenders want to continue to defend the asshole after reading his comments in this story?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Krzyzewski is a POS. To take a public shot at Rouse--just shows he is a scumbag.

Man, why can't BYU hire this guy? He seems like a moral stand-up guy. Isn't that why BYU is supposed to be about? Give this guy a second chance. It would be a great story.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Krzyzewski is a POS. To take a public shot at Rouse--just shows he is a scumbag.

Man, why can't BYU hire this guy? He seems like a moral stand-up guy. Isn't that why BYU is supposed to be about? Give this guy a second chance. It would be a great story.
I would love to see Rouse get a shot anywhere. I'd be more than happy if my tithing money helped to pay his salary at BYU.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What he did is illegal, could be a crime in Washington. Not saying I agree with the law. But it's illegal and potentially a crime and there's civil liability with teeth for recording someone without their consent. Washington is a two-party consent state.

I agree Krzewski is showing his dark side. Loyalty is important, and it's downright shitty for an assistant to tape a head coach. That's almost always true. But how many head coaches conspire to obstruct justice after one of his players has been murdered. There's always an exception. I guess Coach K thinks the few soldiers who said no to Nazi death camps deserved to be shot. That's the ethos he's projecting. Funk, here's your exhibit A that Coach K is a bad person.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-06-2008 at 10:18 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What he did is illegal, could be a crime in Washington. Not saying I agree with the law. But it's illegal and potentially a crime and there's civil liability with teeth for recording someone without their consent. Washington is a two-party consent state.

I agree Krzewski is showing his dark side. Loyalty is important, and it's downright shitty for an assistant to tape a head coach. That's almost always true. But how many head coaches conspire to obstruct justice after one of his players has been murdered. Funk, here's your exhibit A that Coach K is a bad person.
It is legal in Texas, moron. What law school did you attend? Pray tell was it the same as Cali Coug? Speaks volumes.

(no offense to Cali Coug. Ok, small offense).
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It is legal in Texas, moron. What law school did you attend? Pray tell was it the same as Cali Coug? Speaks volumes.

(no offense to Cali Coug. Ok, small offense).
I was defending him, you dipshit, and making a comment on how silly Washigton law is on this point. I'm glad we don't have a school like Baylor in Washington.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I am starting to understand why Adam like Sheshefski so much (man do I hate his name).
Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

What Rouse did may have been illegal, but it's not nearly as bad as conspiring to obstruct justice.

The point is that Krzyzewski is an asshole and prefers loyalty over obeying the law.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Woah there. Settle down.

This is what Coach K said:

""If one of my assistants would tape every one of my conversations with me not knowing it, there's no way he would be on my staff," Krzyzewski told "Outside the Lines" in 2003."

He didn't take a public shot at Rouse. He said he didn't want to work with people who would secretly tape everyone of the conversations they had.

Neither would I and neither would you.

Rouse should have argued with his coach to convince him to not do it, he could have threatened to blow the whistle if the coach did it, and so on. Instead he taped the conversation, waited until the coach did it, and then made the tape public. Seems pretty scummy to me--like he was more interested in getting his head coach then preventing the harm to the dead kid's reputation.

Maybe all these coaches at every program in all levels of basketball are not idiots or corrupt evil co-conspirators but rather regular guys like you and me and see the situation for what it is--a gotcha from a guy that is supposed to have your back.

No one is saying the head coach isn't a jerk and a rule-breaker. But maybe the guy with the whistle isn't a saint.
He was a black man with his first DI coaching gig and Bliss was taunting him with copies of his contract with yellow highlighting showing he could fire his assistants for any reason. If he'd "blown the whistle" on Bliss maybe Bliss would have just fired him and denied the whole thing. Maybe there was a lot of corroborating evidence, but still, maybe he was just scared. Bliss was talking about obstrucing justice and falsely smearing a murdered man for drug dealing to cover up his own indiscretions. That's about as bad as it's ever gotten for a college coach. I think there were extenuating circumstances. I'd never say it's never okay to tape somenone. I've never done it, I think it's wrong, I might even be disbarred for doing it in my home state, but this situation is the exception that proves the rule, in my opinion.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
about former Baylor assistant basketball coach Abar Rouse and how messed up college sports can be, especially when a scumbag like Dave Bliss can end up back coaching anything other than a prison team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ana&id=3371852

Do any of the Krzyzewski defenders want to continue to defend the asshole after reading his comments in this story?
Let me get this straight. Dave Bliss is now a coach with Athletes in Action? That's that evangelical christian team. The best thing about being an evangelical is no personal responsibility for your sins. If you're a "christian" do whatever the heck you want in life and you're still saved. Meanwhile all those mormons who try hard to be good are going straight to hell.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote