cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 10-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road
Default Another commit

Brandon Davies commits to BYU.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/2008/10/...its-to-byu.htm
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
I read a bit on him and from what I can tell he really came on the scene this summer, moving from a mid major recruit to a big time recruit - if it is true that U of A was offering. I think this is best explained by the fact that he just turned 17. He is a fully year behind his class in school. Hence he is finally growing into his body and turning into a good player the summer of what should be his junior year of high school. He reads to me like Trent Plaisted. Great athlete who bloomed late because he was a year ahead in school. What doesn't read like Plaisted is he was coached by a very good high school coach who forced him to learn to play the game inside of just being "crafty."

I also understand his qualifying might be a bit of a challenge.

He is a black LDS kid who is going to go to college for two years before a mission...I doubt he ever makes a mission. There were two highly recruited LDS power forwards this year, Jeremy Olsen from Georgia and Davies. The U got the one I think will serve a mission. Dave Rose wins and Jimmy Boylen will lose. I have seen this play out before. Rose is no dummy, Davies will redshirt next year to physically fill out and then will likely become the starter as a RS Freshman after Miles graduates. Davies will bloom as a Freshman AA and choose not to serve a mission to live the dream of future pro ball.

The Utes will have the moral highground, how I hate that.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I read a bit on him and from what I can tell he really came on the scene this summer, moving from a mid major recruit to a big time recruit - if it is true that U of A was offering. I think this is best explained by the fact that he just turned 17. He is a fully year behind his class in school. Hence he is finally growing into his body and turning into a good player the summer of what should be his junior year of high school. He reads to me like Trent Plaisted. Great athlete who bloomed late because he was a year ahead in school. What doesn't read like Plaisted is he was coached by a very good high school coach who forced him to learn to play the game inside of just being "crafty."

I also understand his qualifying might be a bit of a challenge.

He is a black LDS kid who is going to go to college for two years before a mission...I doubt he ever makes a mission. There were two highly recruited LDS power forwards this year, Jeremy Olsen from Georgia and Davies. The U got the one I think will serve a mission. Dave Rose wins and Jimmy Boylen will lose. I have seen this play out before. Rose is no dummy, Davies will redshirt next year to physically fill out and then will likely become the starter as a RS Freshman after Miles graduates. Davies will bloom as a Freshman AA and choose not to serve a mission to live the dream of future pro ball.

The Utes will have the moral highground, how I hate that.
I watched Davies play several times last year and was not impressed at all. I dont know if I picked bad games to watch or what but he did not impress me. He was not real physical, he was frustrated easily, and he lacked offensive skills.

However a friend of mine coaches at Pineview and he was blown away by Davies on film. So I am guessing I went to the wrong games.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty excited about this. Plus he's not going on a mission. "I'll play two years then go on a mission" is the code phrase for "I'm not going on a mission". We need to start encouraging all of our best BB players and FB skill position players to play two years then serve.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote