cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any bball report?

Were there any surprises?

Abou is he going to contribute this year?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Were there any surprises?

Abou is he going to contribute this year?
He looked good. But this Georgetown College team was bad. Real bad. They are no yardstick to measure our success.

It was also tough to see as the BYUTV broadcast was pathetic. It looked like I watching the game underwater.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
He looked good. But this Georgetown College team was bad. Real bad. They are no yardstick to measure our success.

It was also tough to see as the BYUTV broadcast was pathetic. It looked like I watching the game underwater.
I thought I read how they played close to Louisville, or was that a charade and were we talking about the real Hoyas.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought I read how they played close to Louisville, or was that a charade and were we talking about the real Hoyas.
As Surfah mentioned, it's hard to get a good read on anything from a game like that against a crappy team. They were really bad. Either Louisville is extremely overrated or they were all shooting with their off hands during that game.

That said, Abouo looks like he can contribute this year. Should be a good defender and will make some plays. Any outside shooting from him will be a bonus.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
beauso79

beauso79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They did play real close to Louisville, They were only down 2 with a minute left but the final score ended 74-67. One thing that may have played a difference is that Georgetown College is from Kentucky so playing Louisville was kind of like a home game. Our biggest advantage was our size. Miles and Hartsock had a ton of blocks. Hartsock looked good defensively although he may not contribute a ton offensively at first, his added depth at the 4 is going to be needed this year. I think it would be a mistake to redshirt him just because of our lack of depth. Abouo seems to be getting better. His outside shot looked much better last night as did Morgans. They both hit a couple of 3's. Emery seems to be progressing nicely as well. He reminds of Scheyer that plays for Duke. Overall our team seems to be way more balanced and we have a ton of outside shooters this season. When Fredette, Emery, Cummard, and Tavernari are all on the floor good luck defending the perimeter. Miles passed extremely well out of the post, something TP never did. Morgan is very quick up the floor and does things with a ball Murdock could only dream of. His lack of height is still a concern though. Pinegar got eaten alive last night by the more athletic guards so not sure what's going to happen with him.

This is how the team seems to be shaping up:

1: Morgan/Fredette/Pinegar
2: Fredette/Emery/Loyd
3: Cummard/Abouo/Tavernari
4: Tavernari/Hartsock-?/Abouo
5: Miles/MacGregor/Anderson
beauso79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
beauso79

Quote:

The broadcast sucked to put it nicely. There were times during the game/live play that the camera was just sitting there recording guys on the bench.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauso79 View Post
They did play real close to Louisville, They were only down 2 with a minute left but the final score ended 74-67. One thing that may have played a difference is that Georgetown College is from Kentucky so playing Louisville was kind of like a home game. Our biggest advantage was our size. Miles and Hartsock had a ton of blocks. Hartsock looked good defensively although he may not contribute a ton offensively at first, his added depth at the 4 is going to be needed this year. I think it would be a mistake to redshirt him just because of our lack of depth. Abouo seems to be getting better. His outside shot looked much better last night as did Morgans. They both hit a couple of 3's. Emery seems to be progressing nicely as well. He reminds of Scheyer that plays for Duke. Overall our team seems to be way more balanced and we have a ton of outside shooters this season. When Fredette, Emery, Cummard, and Tavernari are all on the floor good luck defending the perimeter. Miles passed extremely well out of the post, something TP never did. Morgan is very quick up the floor and does things with a ball Murdock could only dream of. His lack of height is still a concern though. Pinegar got eaten alive last night by the more athletic guards so not sure what's going to happen with him.

This is how the team seems to be shaping up:

1: Morgan/Fredette/Pinegar
2: Fredette/Emery/Loyd
3: Cummard/Abouo/Tavernari
4: Tavernari/Hartsock-?/Abouo
5: Miles/MacGregor/Anderson
Good post. Abouo looked good. Strong and should be a good defender. I thought Miles played well also. This team will be able to shoot teams out of a zone defense like BYU did to Syracuse in the first round a few years ago.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
beauso79

Quote:
Good post. Abouo looked good. Strong and should be a good defender. I thought Miles played well also. This team will be able to shoot teams out of a zone defense like BYU did to Syracuse in the first round a few years ago.
Abouo was good defensively and he showed a little strength down low in the post. I would like to see more of him in the paint to see what he can actually do. Our guard play this year is going to be head and shoulders above what it was last year. Last year there were times that Burgess and Murdock just disappeared. At least Emery seems willing to rebound and is able to play PG a little.

A couple things that have been disappointing and need to be improved:

1 - Lack of offensive rebounding. Cummard is the only guy that seems to crash the offensive boards. The team seems to take it for-grant-it that they shoot the ball well from the perimeter. The ball goes in the air and everybody runs in the opposite direction except for Cummard. Drives me nuts.

2 - Free throw shooting was our achilies heel last year and it appears it could be this year as well. We'll see how the season goes.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauso79 View Post
Abouo was good defensively and he showed a little strength down low in the post. I would like to see more of him in the paint to see what he can actually do. Our guard play this year is going to be head and shoulders above what it was last year. Last year there were times that Burgess and Murdock just disappeared. At least Emery seems willing to rebound and is able to play PG a little.

A couple things that have been disappointing and need to be improved:

1 - Lack of offensive rebounding. Cummard is the only guy that seems to crash the offensive boards. The team seems to take it for-grant-it that they shoot the ball well from the perimeter. The ball goes in the air and everybody runs in the opposite direction except for Cummard. Drives me nuts.

2 - Free throw shooting was our achilies heel last year and it appears it could be this year as well. We'll see how the season goes.
As to both of your points I agree. JT throws it up like Rex Chapman and if he isn't hanging his hand in the air he's across mid court by the time it gets close to the rim. And the FT shooting has puzzled me with the way these guys can shoot the ball. With Trent gone, I thought the average would certainly approve but maybe not.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
beauso79

Quote:
As to both of your points I agree. JT throws it up like Rex Chapman and if he isn't hanging his hand in the air he's across mid court by the time it gets close to the rim. And the FT shooting has puzzled me with the way these guys can shoot the ball. With Trent gone, I thought the average would certainly approve but maybe not.
I've actually been pleased with how much JT hasn't been shooting so far. He's taken a couple of bad shots between the 2 exhibition games so I hope he keeps it that way and doesn't feel he has to carry the team when his shot's off.