cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a week from Saturday

may be our first conference loss.

Unless something really weird happens, BYU should be able to defeat CSU, despite its good conference record and Wyoming at home, regardless of the status of Fredette, but next Saturday in San Diego, it is always a challenge, even with a healthy Fredette.

Without him, it is probable we lose. If we can defeat SDSU in San Diego without a fully healthy Jimmer, then it should be a good conference season.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am promising a BYU victory at SDSU.

I am currently enjoying a USC/BYU/Dodger attendance win streak dating back to the Max Hall implosion at RES two seasons ago. Oklahoma game (mikewaters, shame on you for not buying the tickets!), Utah, Oregon State, UNLV, various BYU basketball games, etc....all wins.

I am planning on attending the SDSU game. Ergo, BYU will win.

Book it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am promising a BYU victory at SDSU.

I am currently enjoying a USC/BYU/Dodger attendance win streak dating back to the Max Hall implosion at RES two seasons ago. Oklahoma game (mikewaters, shame on you for not buying the tickets!), Utah, Oregon State, UNLV, various BYU basketball games, etc....all wins.

I am planning on attending the SDSU game. Ergo, BYU will win.

Book it.
I am gunshy but hopeful and slightly optimistic. This team has a lot of good things going for it.

The main deficiencies: team speed on defense, few playmakers without screens and picks, and no adequate back up for Jimmer. Oh yeah, sometimes rebounding is inadequate and the switch defense out top is poor at times and they need to hammer players when they foul them.

But overall I like this team and it has a lot of character.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I am gunshy but hopeful and slightly optimistic. This team has a lot of good things going for it.

The main deficiencies: team speed on defense, few playmakers without screens and picks, and no adequate back up for Jimmer. Oh yeah, sometimes rebounding is inadequate and the switch defense out top is poor at times and they need to hammer players when they foul them.

But overall I like this team and it has a lot of character.
These guys are great.....as SeattleVixen has pointed out elsewhere, this may be BYU's deepest team of all time. I tend to agree with that.

I am discouraged by Jimmer's mystery ailment, but the effects should be well-known by the SDSU game. He seemed to be efficient last night, so assuming he does not require IV fluids today, he should be on the mend by the time SDSU rolls around.

I am also discouraged by Miles. Others enjoy his play. I think he has horrible hands, can't play with fouls, has a lousy touch around the basket, and at this point, is simply eating minutes and hindering the development of Davies.

I am encouraged by the overall depth of the team. What they may lack in team speed (did you see the UNLV game...the Rebels D was suffocating at times) they make up for in depth......we can even play our young kids (Haws, lloyd, et al) without a remarkable drop in flow or decision-making.

Also, Tav seems to have come into his own playing much of this season off the bench in Jimmer's shadow. To Tav's credit, he has been a good soldier and has stepped up big in a few games when needed.

You seem to bemoan a lack of playmakers, which may be true if you are strictly talking about creating off the dribble....but you have to love guys like Emery that have really blossomed this year, moving without the ball and getting open for key shots.

All told, this team seems to be very unified....no egos....everyone knows their role.

I agree that the SDSU and UNM games will be tough, but I really like our chances. I would love a road sweep but I will take a split and be very happy with it. I'm just happy to be able to see them play without having to fly to Utah. I assume you go to the UNLV game or the MWC tourney since it is in your back yard?

I was just at the Vegas Bowl and was able to go to the Reno game that afternoon at the Orleans....what a tiny place to see a basketball game! But it was a fun day, the gale force winds notwithstanding.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I said this may be the best BYU team of all time, football or basketball. I also said this may be the most accomplished BYU team ever, football or basketball, to this point in the season. Don't misquote me.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote