cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Article on Fredette

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...tecs-feel-ill/

I like the first paragraph.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it is going to be a huge disappointment if this team doesn't win the opening round in the NCAAs.

When was the last time a BYU team has been ranked this high? Since Chapman, Smith, and Haws?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sounds like it is going to be a huge disappointment if this team doesn't win the opening round in the NCAAs.

When was the last time a BYU team has been ranked this high? Since Chapman, Smith, and Haws?
1987-88.

This team has a bit of swagger and confidence yet maturity. The team, due to lack of athleticism and dominance inside may still fail, but something about it is different.

In my memory, BYU's had two special players, Cosic, who was by all accounts a remarkable person as well, and Ainge, were difference makers. Cosic ran up against UCLA's great teams but otherwise may have become a bigger name. Ainge had his splash.

This team is not melting whereas past teams would.

Fredette goes down and somebody else steps in.

Tavernari steps aside after lone loss because others are playing better.

Lasts night, BYU needed some fresh legs and athleticism and Abouo stepped up at a crucial moment.

Coach has a new lease on life.

This team is better is better in small ways, but maybe the collection of those small difference can make a difference.

Plus, the kids look like they're having fun.

I like this team.

The rest of the season will be difficult. Several teams have more athleticism and over a season those teams get better and catch up with less athletic teams. Thus, a loss in Vegas is most probable and one in New Mexico should not surprise. But this team might surprise.

I won't make predictions but as for this season, I like the make up. It plays a fluid brand of offense, and defense is improved though the jump switch on screens can improve. The "monster" defense down low is effective much of the time though the backside help for the doubling player is sometimes slow. Davies at times looks lost but he's a valuable body in there.

I hope to enjoy this year with this team.