cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 seed in Denver?

That's about as good as you could have ever hoped for, given how the season ended. At a 3 seed, I think BYU got a very favorable seeding, given how far the team has dropped off.

Look at Davies vs. Anderson, and you get an idea of what the differential is. Anderson is the very definition of a stiff. The guy runs like he has 50 year old knees.

Anyway, it's all on them now. Win or go home. I haven't seen St. Johns play this season (I'm not going to even address the possibility of losing to Wofford, because if it happens, there will be a mass suicide), but I have heard a lot of talk about how they are really playing well. So it might be the case that St. John's is actually under-seeded.

Still, if that's the team standing in front of you, just beat them.

I haven't seen Florida play this season ever. But their record in that crappy conference is not impressive, and given that BYU beat them last year (I have no idea how many players are still on the team), I would like those chances as far as taking on a 2 seed. Again, a favorable break from the committee. It's almost like the committee wants BYU to go far! (Make money off of Jimmer-mania). Who knows.

Should be an exciting weekend. Again, I'm not optimistic. It's going to take great games from the guys to win. A mediocre game will be an L.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here we go....

I'm trying not to be a pessimist, but I'm just thinking about how sick I will be if we lose to Wofford.

Lots of folks picking us to lose in the 2nd game. I've not seen St. John's play, but I have seen Gonzaga play. I would suspect we would be much better off to play Gonzaga.

If we get to the Sweet 16, I will be satisfied. That's the benchmark I set for a successful season way back when. Elite 8 would be complete gravy. Loss to Wofford would be just absolute gut-ripping pain.

Game against Wofford is on CBS, so it shows how high the interest is in Jimmer.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I am down on Rogers a little bit. A lot. Because of one simple thing. He can't play D. I've seen him get burned playing zone, and certainly playing man. As soon as he came into the game against Wofford, they tried to iso him everytime (and it worked).

He's going to have to improve his defense in order to make a major contribution next year. Needs to get stronger, quicker, more explosive to be a better defender.

The best coach, as they say, is the bench. And that's where he is right now.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm so happy to be wrong about this team after Davies leaving.

Now, I do think BYU is much, much better with Davies. But I had set the bar of making the Sweet 16 as success for the season, and I am thrilled, just like you, that they accomplished it.

I had said earlier I would be happy to eat crow. It's crow at my place tonight!!

Fun, fun, game. I definitely felt like BYU had a good chance to beat Gonzaga, although their performance against St. Johns was terribly impressive. Let's face it. They are still a WCC team, they lost a lot of games, and we beat St. Mary's, etc. etc. No reason we can't go into a game against the WCC and not expect to win.

Just incredible how those guys battled inside, for rebounds and blocks. Collinsworth was wonderful on the boards. And man, Rogers, provided a nice spark off the bench in the 1st half. Abuou was a stud. And Hartsock played wonderfully. I knew with that half time lead, given that Hartsock and Abuou had sat most of the 1st half, that we should be in good shape in the 2nd.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT NICK MARTINEAU WOULD GET OFF THE PINE IN THIS GAME!!!???

Jimmer of course was amazing. We are going to miss this kid like no one's business. We are going to be telling our kids' kids about Jimmer and his fantastic run as a senior. It doesn't matter what happens at this point. The legend is sealed.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

You going to New Orleans?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm so happy to be wrong about this team after Davies leaving.

Now, I do think BYU is much, much better with Davies. But I had set the bar of making the Sweet 16 as success for the season, and I am thrilled, just like you, that they accomplished it.

I had said earlier I would be happy to eat crow. It's crow at my place tonight!!

Fun, fun, game. I definitely felt like BYU had a good chance to beat Gonzaga, although their performance against St. Johns was terribly impressive. Let's face it. They are still a WCC team, they lost a lot of games, and we beat St. Mary's, etc. etc. No reason we can't go into a game against the WCC and not expect to win.

Just incredible how those guys battled inside, for rebounds and blocks. Collinsworth was wonderful on the boards. And man, Rogers, provided a nice spark off the bench in the 1st half. Abuou was a stud. And Hartsock played wonderfully. I knew with that half time lead, given that Hartsock and Abuou had sat most of the 1st half, that we should be in good shape in the 2nd.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT NICK MARTINEAU WOULD GET OFF THE PINE IN THIS GAME!!!???

Jimmer of course was amazing. We are going to miss this kid like no one's business. We are going to be telling our kids' kids about Jimmer and his fantastic run as a senior. It doesn't matter what happens at this point. The legend is sealed.
still feel like there's no God?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
You going to New Orleans?
Marsupial contacted my wife to see if I wanted to go. But I told my wife I thought it would be a little awkward for Marsupial and I to go together without out spouses.

Given my work schedule, I don't think I can swing it.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

The season was an incredible success. The MWC title would have been nice, but in the real world, does anybody really care if you're the MWC champion? Some but not many.

If BYU can win just this one more game against Florida it'll surpass all expectations and we can begin to hope for our first Final Four appearance.
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
still feel like there's no God?
Matthew 8:26

26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then Jimmer arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Given my work schedule, I don't think I can swing it.
What are you, nuts? This only happens once in a generation.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote