cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Church leadership seems less nimble than before

It seems the recent years have exposed the frailties of the corporate autocratic leadership of the LDS Church. Nobody below senior level management is empowered to make any decisions.

Take for example, Kevin Worthen and the current debacle with the Title IX investigations. If he had been empowered, a wise management decision would have been to strongly support the victims of rape or sexual abuse, to declare a comprehensive study is in order and to make a decision to avoid punishing the victim. The likelihood of false claims to avoid HCO punishment seems minimal and the harm when the HCO is wrong versus whatever minimal benefit might exist is disparate.

The Boy Scout debacle about not supporting the change until management returns is another example of the lack of empowerment anybody but the senior level managers possess.

The Church is so authoritarian, by claiming authority from on high, which other churches have done and continue to do, that any question even for the purpose of understanding is considered a heretical act. The lack of transparency, the animosity toward gays and their children and inability to see the other side of the equation is hindering the Church's mission. It is heresy to ask, but where is the inspiration? It is getting it wrong with many Millennials, and the answer the leadership now espouses, is, if you have friends who lose faith, abandon them and don't listen to them. That almost seems to be a complete acknowledgment that leadership doesn't have answers to any of the questions. The hunker down mentality won't weather this storm well.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

One only needs to think back to the heyday of Hinckley and how connected he was with the members, and how visible he was in media.

The same cannot be said for Monson. And I assume that Monson's health prevents him from being more visible on all fronts. Perhaps Monson is just well enough, that his first counselor does not feel able to make decisions in his behalf.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
One only needs to think back to the heyday of Hinckley and how connected he was with the members, and how visible he was in media.

The same cannot be said for Monson. And I assume that Monson's health prevents him from being more visible on all fronts. Perhaps Monson is just well enough, that his first counselor does not feel able to make decisions in his behalf.
These are dark days for Mormondom. The ship seems to list aimlessly seeking to fight the wind, only to be torn apart by it.

Lest I forget, the challenge to the law school's accreditation due to religious discrimination is also another eyesore. How can administration not see that discriminating against members who lose faith is not going to be received well?!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah LGBTQ protections bill was well done.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:40 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Utah LGBTQ protections bill was well done.
I think the only reason they pursued that was the "religious freedom" angle.

Preparing for pariah status in society.

I don't mind being a pariah, but give me some reasons I can be proud of. Punishing girls who have been raped is not the issue I want to have to fall on my sword.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think the only reason they pursued that was the "religious freedom" angle.

Preparing for pariah status in society.

I don't mind being a pariah, but give me some reasons I can be proud of. Punishing girls who have been raped is not the issue I want to have to fall on my sword.
But Mike, that girl may have liked having her boobs touched. We need to eradicate all sinful, lust. How dare she! And furthermore, maybe she was wearing something that encouraged it of all things.

It may ultimately destroy BYU sports.

https://twitter.com/austinhorton/sta...13531479154688

Quote:
Biggest obstacle facing BYU right now is Honor Code/sexual assault story, says @dennisdoddcbs. Not sure Big 12 wants to get involved in that
That sort of thing infuriates me that the Administration is so incompetent and blind. I actually know President Worthen, and must believe his complete lack of authority is slowing him down. This beyond excrutiating.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-04-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If BYU is screwed, it deserves to be screwed.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If Worthen can't do the job he was asked to do, he should resign. That's what honorable people do when their superiors force them to do things that are wrong.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The tricky thing about rape is that when you're in the seduction phase, women expect you to take the lead. At that stage, the more forceful you are, the more turned on they get.

I got reprimanded by my PUA coach for asking a girl for permission to put my arm around her before kissing her. Too forceful, it's rape. Not forceful enough, you're a pussy and nature will weed your genes out of existence.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
The tricky thing about rape is that when you're in the seduction phase, women expect you to take the lead. At that stage, the more forceful you are, the more turned on they get.

I got reprimanded by my PUA coach for asking a girl for permission to put my arm around her before kissing her. Too forceful, it's rape. Not forceful enough, you're a pussy and nature will weed your genes out of existence.
The balance is clear. If rape is an allegation, then the HCO should steer clear and any information from that event should be hands off.

The vast majority of BYU students voluntarily comply with the standards of the university and don't need micro-management. The risks of somebody filing a false rape claim is so small and the benefits to the university are almost non-existent that this issue should be crystal clear. Why is there any delay? It is mind-boggling how tone deaf whoever must make this decision is.

Prosecutors are versed well enough to ferret out false claims.

Damage is being done to the university the longer this persists.