cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This talk about firing Dave Rose is crazy talk

Lunacy. BYU doesn't fire guys like Rose.

We don't have the players. We just don't. Hard to win with good horses, but not great horses.

Could a new coach recruit better? I'm not so sure. I doubt it.

Yes, I have been critical of Rose about a number of things. Particularly him playing soft white guys who have some ball skills but no defense, over some more athletic guys who play much better defense and have room to improve on the offensive side. Seems like that happened every year. And it led to transfers. The white guy eventually transfers because he is eventually benched. And the raw player transfers to due to lack of playing time and frustration.

But I think that changed this year. I think Rose is finally valuing defense and defensive effort. I think new Rose is much more likely to bench and discipline his "stars."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Please let's just not have most of the team peel off this year and start almost from scratch next season again like we've been seeing for the last 5 years. For example, on this year's team only Childs, Bryant, Haws and Dastrup played last year. That's mind boggling on a team that was so young to begin with. If we can hold 8-9 guys together for next year we will be better. They also need to figure out how to keep the defense respectable without killing the offense. One strategic decision this year was to lay off the offensive boards to drop back into defense. That helped the defense. The problem is it hurts the offense when the shots aren't falling. There probably needs to be a little give there. Also, maybe more mature players making better decisions helps. There is no way a slower paced offense like we had this year should be turning the ball over 20 times in a game. Rose teams in the past have taken better care of the ball.

Also, people (but not you) wonder why Dastrup doesn't play more. It's because per minute he turns the ball over more than anyone else on the team. This I think was making Rose pull his hair out. Dastrup can be a serviceable, maybe even an important player in the future if he can get the mental side working for him. These are hopefully the kinds of issues that start to correct as players mature together over 2-3 years.

Last edited by BlueK; 02-28-2018 at 06:32 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Also, coaches at BYU do get fired. (took baseball more than a decade though) They just at least have to have a really bad year first, usually more than one of those. And even then there have to have been problems before that. Technically Cleveland wasn't fired even after a 9-win season. He was just "encouraged" to take the job at Fresno State. But he still would have been given another year. Kalani won't be fired unless he turns in another year like this last one. Rose still isn't anywhere near that. Like I said, I think if we don't have the mass defections after this year we actually make the NCAAs again. Then all is right in the BYU basketball world again as far as the administration is concerned if that happens.