cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
The answer to this is VERY EASY: Kevin Durant

Until you have seen this guy play, you haven't seen anything. He could easily start for 75% of the NBA teams right now. He is what Lebron James would have been at the college level.

Fact is that Texas would evicerate BYU, Durant would hang 50 points on them being double covered the entire game. He put up 37 against Kansas, who is a really good defensive team. He averaged about 30 points in two games against Texas A&M who is the best defensive team in the country.

Just having Durant makes Texas a 4th seed.

Watch this guy, he is unbelievable.

All this comming from someone who literally hates TU.

If he is that great a player, their team should have better numbers. So how about someone answer the question? What, in the numbers, makes Texas deserve a higher seeding than BYU. And btw, the Big 12 sucks.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't followed Texas that closely, so I don't know what their good wins are or what their bad losses are, etc.

But I have seen a game or two with Durrant, and I can confirm that he is amazing. I don't think I have ever seen a better set of offensive skills in someone of that size in a freshman.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #13
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
If he is that great a player, their team should have better numbers. So how about someone answer the question? What, in the numbers, makes Texas deserve a higher seeding than BYU. And btw, the Big 12 sucks.
This statement is legitimate and fine until the last sentence, that just reveals that you are competely ignorant of college basketball. Take off the blue colored glasses, smack yourself around and we will all welcome you back to reality.

Yeah, ok... so being as you are so smart, why does the Big 12 have 2 of 5 all on the all american squads?

Kansas is a legit #2, who is the highest rank MWC team?

Kansas lost to A&M, squeaked out 2 wins against TU.

Texas has losses b/c basketball is a team sport if any of their other players show up and have decent games, they can take anyone.

You obviously have never seen this guy play. Just watch him and see. Look at the competition, who has BYU played? What top 5 teams have they taken to overtime? Or beaten? What top 10 teams?

What was BYU's road record? If I remember right BYU has a really tough time on the road.

The final analysis is that the NCAA wants Texas to go deep in the tourny b/c Kevin Durant will sell tickets and get people to watch games. BYU will not. It is that easy.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #14
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
This statement is legitimate and fine until the last sentence, that just reveals that you are competely ignorant of college basketball. Take off the blue colored glasses, smack yourself around and we will all welcome you back to reality.

Yeah, ok... so being as you are so smart, why does the Big 12 have 2 of 5 all on the all american squads?

Kansas is a legit #2, who is the highest rank MWC team?

Kansas lost to A&M, squeaked out 2 wins against TU.

Texas has losses b/c basketball is a team sport if any of their other players show up and have decent games, they can take anyone.

You obviously have never seen this guy play. Just watch him and see. Look at the competition, who has BYU played? What top 5 teams have they taken to overtime? Or beaten? What top 10 teams?

What was BYU's road record? If I remember right BYU has a really tough time on the road.

The final analysis is that the NCAA wants Texas to go deep in the tourny b/c Kevin Durant will sell tickets and get people to watch games. BYU will not. It is that easy.
I agree that this is the reason about tickets and tv sets. I just wish the comittee would say in advance.. no attempt is necessary for the teams from the lower conferences to get anything higher than a four seed. Also, non-BCS teams can expect to be seeded lower than the purportedly objective measures that we use dictate.

Oh and truly, outside of A and M, Kansas, and Texas the Big 12 did suck this year.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

In response to comments like PAP's, here's THE BOTTOM LINE: Until MWC teams (besides Utah, which is currently on its ass) start winning NCAA playoff games to any extent there's nothing to talk about. If BYU were from the MVC there would be some room to gripe. It's not, and BYU hasn't won an NCAA game for decades. BYU needs to put its own house in order, tend its own garden, before harping about how weak other conferences are or how unfair is the system. It's like somebody with a C average and fiftieth percentile SAT complaining Harvard admissions are rigged.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #16
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In response to comments like PAP's, here's THE BOTTOM LINE: Until MWC teams (besides Utah, which is currently on its ass) start winning NCAA playoff games to any extent there's nothing to talk about. If BYU were from the MVC there would be some room to gripe. It's not, and BYU hasn't won an NCAA game for decades. BYU needs to put its own house in order, tend its own garden, before harping about how weak other conferences are or how unfair is the system. It's like somebody with a C average and fiftieth percentile SAT complaining Harvard admissions are rigged.
I could be wrong, but I don't think one has to engage in slighhtly over the top hyperbole to explain the difference. In virtually every rating system besides RPI, Texas is rated higher. Here is a sampling:

Code:
                BYU   Texas
Massey           39      21
Sagarin (ELO)    25      19
Sagarin (MOV)    56      16
Wolfe            25      20
Rothman          42      19
Me               53      17
Texas is not an isolated case here. The seeds this year are less correlated with the RPI then in the past (see Indy's post), and as I demonstrate in a different post the deviations comparing massey and the NCAA seeds are smaller than the deviations from RPI. In my mind a better and more systematic question is why the committee shifted away from RPI. The Texas vs BYU example is just a manifestation of the shift and not an unique case

Last edited by pelagius; 03-13-2007 at 11:55 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:10 AM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Big 12 weak? Check this out. SI experts' pick their Final Fours. They love the Big 12:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ets/index.html

It looks like they all pick BYU to lose to Xavier. I may have missed one.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote