cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-22-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alford to New Mexico?

I just read on the ticker that Steve Alford is close to an agreement to become coach at New Mexico. That is a very curious downward move. I can only speculate that he must think he has less job security in Iowa CIty. This may be a good hire, since it will ratchet up the level of publicity around the New Mexico program. But I am not sure that Alford is a great coach, since a number of his teams have underachieved. Still the Lobos will have succeeded in making an exciting hire that should breathe some life into that program.

On this same note Joe Scott, who started the Air Force renaisaance and then returned to Princeton, left Princeton to become head coach at Denver????? Something about new recruiting restrictions in the Ivy league. Bizarre. Surely there had to be a better job out there than Denver. It is hard to think of a less attractive opening. He must have really loved Colorado.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Alford is the best coach...but I think it is a decent move by New Mexico. He is well known and it brings some exposure to the conference. I have a feeling that he will do pretty well with recruiting there. I guess we'll see.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I read that Alford wants to go to a place where Basketball is King and felt that New Mexico affords him that chance. Basketball is definetly THE draw their compared to their football. When they are good the Pit sells out every game.

At Iowa,,,,even when Dr. Tom Davis was the coach.......Football is King.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

PK says Shroyer is likely the next coach at Wyoming. That would be an interesting hire.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
PK says Shroyer is likely the next coach at Wyoming. That would be an interesting hire.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/
Schroyer is a real good hire for the Pokes. He had success at Portland State, which is a dead end job, and he was well liked at BYU. I am glad he got a decent job, I am just sorry that it was in that hole. I wish him short term and selective success that will get him to a better job soon.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote