cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OK you potential Bishops out there

Young lady in your ward at age 17 has intercourse. She repents and does all the things necessary to receive forgiveness.

At age 22 she has fallen in love with a very charming young man. However, his P blessing says someday he will be amongst the leaders of the church and sit in council with them. He doesn't want anything coming out of the wordwork when that day arises.

He shows the fiance's Bishop the P Blessing and asks, Bishop has my fiance ever confessed having pre-marital sex. What do you tell the young man.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Young lady in your ward at age 17 has intercourse. She repents and does all the things necessary to receive forgiveness.

At age 22 she has fallen in love with a very charming young man. However, his P blessing says someday he will be amongst the leaders of the church and sit in council with them. He doesn't want anything coming out of the wordwork when that day arises.

He shows the fiance's Bishop the P Blessing and asks, Bishop has my fiance ever confessed having pre-marital sex. What do you tell the young man.
Not claiming to be the bishop type, but my answer is as follows: ask her. It's a conversation I can't have as bishop for a number of reasons, mostly because it's a breach of confidentiality obligations I'd feel I have, and also because that sort of thing would have a chilling effect on the openness of others who come to talk to me if word got out that I told. And if the young lady in question was not willing to tell the young man, chances are she's the sort who would be eternally pissed at me for telling.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would refuse to say a thing, and then immediately call her and say "your fiance is asking if you have ever confessed sexual sin to me. Thought you might like to know. Being married to a mullah is not all that btw."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I would tell him that if he was so petty to worry about something like that then he probably wouldn't be called to one of those positions anyway.

I'm sorry I probably shouldn't have answered this question since you directed it to potential bishops only.

Last edited by RC Vikings; 09-13-2007 at 08:26 PM.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I would tell him that if he was so petty to worry about something like that then he probably wouldn't be called to one of those positions anyway.

I'm sorry I probably shouldn't have answered this question since you directed it to potential bishops only.
was that code for "what is your opinion Tex, Indy, and Lingo?"

Oops. I should have stayed out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

Hilarious, 71. I love your disdain for this kind of stuff. But I sometimes wonder if you have too much energy for an element of society that may not actually exist in the real world. Only in the fantasy of anti-Mormon/anti-BYU types.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

God remembers the sin no more. Sounds like that G12-wannabe is holding his fiancee to a higher standard than God.

Alma the Younger sat in the counsels of the church.

Ask him what his thoughts are on the idea that Jesus married the reformed hooker Mary Magdalene.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
God remembers the sin no more. Sounds like that G12-wannabe is holding his fiancee to a higher standard than God.

Alma the Younger sat in the counsels of the church.

Ask him what his thoughts are on the idea that Jesus married the reformed hooker Mary Magdalene.
Don't bring up scripture stories; we're talking real life stuff here.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Were I the Bishop:

I would tell the man that the question in and of itself is inappropriate.

I agree with the prior thoughts along the line of "If he is that concerned about it then he likely isn't GA material anyway" but if I were the Bishop I wouldn't express said thought.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 09-13-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typpo
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

There's a lot of potential bishops in here. Not me.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-13-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote