cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

If children are being born into situations where their environment is so utterly wicked and evil, could it be that a loving God would destroy those people so they could no longer reproduce and allow His children to be born into less evil circumstances?

Maybe that's how President Taylor was looking at it.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If children are being born into situations where their environment is so utterly wicked and evil, could it be that a loving God would destroy those people so they could no longer reproduce and allow His children to be born into less evil circumstances?

and that's how fundamentalist Islam looks at the morally corrupt West.

No?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and that's how fundamentalist Islam looks at the morally corrupt West.

No?
Fundamentalist Islam <> God
Old 09-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I"ve heard it before but it doesn't sound too persuasive.

Kill everybody to love them. Islam loves that theory.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Fundamentalist Islam <> God
ah yes, when my god orders it, it is ok. When your false god orders it, it is murder.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not sure. But this link says President Taylor considered the great flood to be an act of love, i.e. mass drowning of the human race.

http://www.lds.org/braille/PearlofGr...dentManual.txt

In a way that thinking is kind of scary. You could see how a suicide bomber might consider his act to be one of great love.
Because God is God, I look at anything he does as an act of love. I can't say the same for those who act in his name.

In the sense the excommunication is a principle of the church, I can see how it can be an act of love. However, since the excommunication process is handled by human beings, the excommunication in all cases isn't or couldnt' be an act of love. I am sure there are cases where it is an act of anger, revenge, image control, etc.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

The Blood Atonement wikipedia article also used the words that it is done "out of love" since the doctrine was that someone had to shed their own blood to repent, it was helping someone repent.

I'm the only one here apparently that actually agrees with Toscano that excommunication is a violent act. She had an agenda and she was dramatic about it, but it's not the first time I've heard that kind of sentiment.

There are lots of aggressive acts you can do in the name of the Lord. If you have God on your side, really you can get away with anything.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The Blood Atonement wikipedia article also used the words that it is done "out of love" since the doctrine was that someone had to shed their own blood to repent, it was helping someone repent.

I'm the only one here apparently that actually agrees with Toscano that excommunication is a violent act. She had an agenda and she was dramatic about it, but it's not the first time I've heard that kind of sentiment.

There are lots of aggressive acts you can do in the name of the Lord. If you have God on your side, really you can get away with anything.
Do you really think excommunication is a violent act or that the act "can be" violent. I know of cases where I think excommunication really helped the person.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Do you really think excommunication is a violent act or that the act "can be" violent. I know of cases where I think excommunication really helped the person.
I know cases where a dad beating the shit out of his kid helped him too. I don't say that totally sarcastically, either, because as a parent or as a church leader sometimes you really are exasperated on what to do.

Yes, I do think it can be violent. I don't think it's right, at least how it is applied today. Though, it's becoming less frequent and trending the right direction.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Quote:
ah yes, when my god orders it, it is ok. When your false god orders it, it is murder.
Who carried out the "flood order"?