cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is being gay a choice?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 24 66.67%
Undecided 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 AM   #21
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
As I'm sure many of us are aware, sexuality isn't binary. Just about every animal is bisexual to some degree, and I imagine that it would be much more prevalent among humans if not for cultural taboos and whatnot. It therefore makes sense that people do, to at least a small degree, "choose" exclusive heterosexuality or exclusive homosexuality, although I very much doubt it is an active choice in any but perhaps a very small number.
And this was exactly Arch's and Creekster point. They were both arguing that given the lack of nuance in SU's original poll question that there are some people along the spectrum that do choose even if the vast majority don't. It is a poorly written poll question. And Arch I think was objecting to that, but not the basic idea that the best empirical evidence suggests that for the vast majority it is not a choice.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #22
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I think there are few true bisexuals.

People who engage in sexual behavior with both genders are only bisexual if they really have no preference. Most people who play on both sides of the ball generally prefer one side or the other, making them either homosexuals who sometimes exhibit heterosexual behavior or heterosexuals who sometimes exhibit homosexual behavior.
BTW, I submit in the rare case someone might have no preference, if there's even such a thing, that's not a choice either.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've never met a gay person that says it was a choice. Can we cite a single gay man who says it was his choice? There has to be one.
Does someone who once practiced homosexuality, and now no longer does, count?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Stupid poll.

Homosexuality seems to be a spectrum combing environmental factors and occasionally aspects of personal choice. Such a wonderfully binary approach in a base 12 world.
What are these "environmental factors"?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #25
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
And this was exactly Arch's and Creekster point. They were both arguing that given the lack of nuance in SU's original poll question that there are some people along the spectrum that do choose even if the vast majority don't. It is a poorly written poll question. And Arch I think was objecting to that, but not the basic idea that the best empirical evidence suggests that for the vast majority it is not a choice.
Sooner is correct. We're talking about PREFERENCE. Besides, absense of preference itself isn't a choice. Try to weasel all you want; Waters nailed it. For some people it's excruciating to just come out and admit what's self-evident--sexual preference is not a choice. It's easy to see why people can't bear to admit that.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Archaea isn't making any point. He's taking the Fifth. What he wrote is incoherent.

Come one. Get out of your skin. Try to imagine a time in your youth when you were neutral in terms of sexual preference. The choice confronted you, and you chose heterosexual (or vice versa). Like you decided to major in English or History or Engineering in college.

Two questions: 1) Can you possibly imagine such a thing? 2) Why would someone confronted with such a choice (remember, in theory such a person is completely sexually preference neutral) choose to make their life so much more difficult when the crystal clear path of least resistance is being heterosexual?

Have you ever known a gay person who didn't have to overcome a lot of negative reaction, even hatred from family and friends, not to mention potential emploers, etc.? The very existence of this anti-gay Constitutional amendment illustrates the premise for my second question.
Hmmm, sounds remarkably like an argument for the prophetic call of Joseph Smith. Could it be SU is rediscovering his Mormon roots?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #27
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Sooner is correct. We're talking about PREFERENCE. Besides, absense of preference itself isn't a choice. Try to weasel all you want; Waters nailed it. For some people it's excruciating to just come out and admit what's self-evident--sexual preference is not a choice. It's easy to see why people can't bear to admit that.
When you define it that way then I am board with you (or at least I agree that the empirical evidence seems most consistent with your statement). The problem is your question was without nuance. Write a clearer question next time. Your experimental design sucks.

Last edited by pelagius; 02-27-2008 at 05:11 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #28
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

If anybody on this board thinks they know enough about behavioral genetics to determine the "cause" of homosexuality, please be kind enough to inform the worldwide scientific community concerning this amazing discovery.

That's TIC, by the way. The truth is that NOBODY understands what ultimately determines/drives/causes sexual preference. End of story.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:10 AM   #29
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
What are these "environmental factors"?
Uterine environment and stuff like that, as far as I've read. I think the overwhelming evidence is that the most important environmental factors are prenatal.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:10 AM   #30
SeattleUte

I respect Tex for taking the position (setting aside how untenable it is) that sexual preference is a choice. He knows that position is essential for him and others with his views to take unless they are to abandon any pretence of being tolerant.

—Paul Auster