cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #31
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I'll bet you never considered those of us unable to knock up the ol wife the old fashioned way.
Old fashioned way? Six pack of beer and a trip to the hills always seemed to work where I'm from.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Just for the sake of discussion, how do you know it came from a position of love.

1) All GA talks come from a position of love

2) She said it came from a position of love

3) When you are right, any advice you give is of course "loving"

4) She is a woman, everything they do is from a position of love

While not offended by her talk, it to me wasn't uplifting, inspiring or loving. Seemed like a talk given from a position of authority.

I know, Indy, I know. Depends on the spirit with which you recieve the words.
Fair enough question, this. Although, you could have left out the enumerations, as it was pretty simple to understand in it's initial format

It's my opinion based on the language & tone during the talk. Granted, I refuse to re-listen to it (it was boring enough the first time), but I remember it fairly well as being one of the few female-given talks I actually listened to part of. (Please note that this is not sexist - I only actually listened to a handful of the men's talks as well. I "don't listen" equally.)

If Beck were to come out and make the reverse statements, I'd probably join those in the 'offended' camp. I don't see it happening.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #33
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I speak only for myself here. Swap the word "parents" for "mothers" and I'm pretty much fine.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #34
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I speak only for myself here. Swap the word "parents" for "mothers" and I'm pretty much fine.
Did you feel the talk was saying that women should have sole responsibility for the issues she identified?

I didn't feel she was doing that. I can understand those who do, and where they're coming from. I just don't believe her intent was to say "men shouldn't have to assist (or even be mainly responsible) with these things".

FWIW, I'm the one who's typically dressing & preparing my daughter for church on Sundays. Mostly because I can get ready in 15 minutes, and then spend the rest of the hour it takes my wife to get ready helping the kid.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Did you feel the talk was saying that women should have sole responsibility for the issues she identified?

I didn't feel she was doing that. I can understand those who do, and where they're coming from. I just don't believe her intent was to say "men shouldn't have to assist (or even be mainly responsible) with these things".
Fathers who know, provide. That's what the church teaches.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #36
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Fathers who know, provide. That's what the church teaches.
I'm not sure what this has to do with my question. Please understand, the intent of the question was to fulfill my curiosity. Certainly it wasn't to condemn Redhead if she felt that way...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #37
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

If her intent was to ascribe a shared responsibility for these things, why would she not have said "parents" instead of "mothers?" As I said, I could maybe stomach all this a little easier then.

I don't like to be told what to do or how to act based on my supposed gender role. See, that's the point. As Mike notes, there's a division of roles held up as ideal. I know that's what's taught, so to say I am offended by it is not quite correct. I just don't happen to accept it as eternal truth, notwithstanding it being taught from the General Conf. pupit.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If her intent was to ascribe a shared responsibility for these things, why would she not have said "parents" instead of "mothers?" As I said, I could maybe stomach all this a little easier then.
Had she done that, people would've accused her of being insensitive to single parents.

It's no-win with this crowd.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #39
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Had she done that, people would've accused her of being insensitive to single parents.

It's no-win with this crowd.
Wait, so single parents aren't "parents"? How do you figure?

and, btw, who is "this crowd."?

Last edited by RedHeadGal; 03-04-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: to add
Old 03-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #40
Spaz

Quote:

I don't like to be told what to do or how to act based on my supposed gender role. See, that's the point. As Mike notes, there's a division of roles held up as ideal. I know that's what's taught, so to say I am offended by it is not quite correct. I just don't happen to accept it as eternal truth, notwithstanding it being taught from the General Conf. pupit.
Understood. IMO, the talk was directed towards the women of the church, and therefore didn't include nor require the inclusion of the men.

IMO, she was not specifying responsibilities that are women's alone. I guess a good explanation of what I'm trying to say is that if you've got two kids, who're both supposed to clean their bedrooms each week, and you sit one of them down to explain to them the reasons why they're doing it, you're not excusing the other from cleaning his room at all. Does that make sense?

All that said, I completely understand the difficulty involved. The church culture IS one where women's ideal place is in the home with the kids, and the man's ideal place is in the office. And that can be difficult for many people...my own wife works full-time, and I like it that way. I think she's a happier person for working than she would be if she were a full-time mom. I'm also looking forward to her working part-time, as full-time is a little much for her with our newborn.

My issue with the reaction to this talk is simply with people reading things into it that I don't believe were there to begin with.