cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Do you want to interpret the statement in a vacuum, or would you rather try to weigh those statements against the person who made it and what their real attitudes and actions were towards those of other races?

President Kimball vs. David Duke? Hmmmm.....
A statement by the leader of what was considered a racist organization in its practice and doctrine can't be judged in a vacuum anymore than a statement by David Duke.

See that's what you don't get. You don't think there was any institutional racism, you don't think of any the leaders of the church were ever racist.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #42
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, Jay, it's not cool to be against miscegenation in today's world. It's also not cool to murder gays and lynch blacks.

It's called Progress.

I know I am in church with institutional racism. I have to deal with that. And speaking up to my fellow members as well as contacting the church itself is how I deal with it.
Nice hyperbole Mike, equating lynching blacks and murdering gays to 30-year-old counsel to marry within one's race, among other things. Interesting that the suggested discussion focuses on not marrying outside one's religion.

Kimball's quote appears well intentioned, for the time. Given greater social mobility and overwhelming advances in communications since the quote, the racial element seems very antiquated and should be dropped. It simply isn't relevent any more.

Seems more a product of lazy editors.

Death to lazy editors and capitalist roaders!!!!!

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #43
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A statement by the leader of what was considered a racist organization in its practice and doctrine can't be judged in a vacuum anymore than a statement by David Duke.

See that's what you don't get. You don't think there was any institutional racism, you don't think of any the leaders of the church were ever racist.
You mean the racism of the man who did so much for Native Americans and announced that all worthy males could hold the priesthood?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Nice hyperbole Mike, equating lynching blacks and murdering gays to 30-year-old counsel to marry within one's race, among other things. Interesting that the suggested discussion focuses on not marrying outside one's religion.

Kimball's quote appears well intentioned, for the time. Given greater social mobility and overwhelming advances in communications since the quote, the racial element seems very antiquated and should be dropped. It simply isn't relevent any more.

Seems more a product of lazy editors.

Death to lazy editors and capitalist roaders!!!!!
actually, many here agree with the quote and would probably like to keep it. They are probably writing in right now urging them to keep it, because it is "true." I highly doubt it was because of "lazy" editing. I believe it was purposeful.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #45
Indy Coug

Quote:
actually, many here agree with the quote and would probably like to keep it. They are probably writing in right now urging them to keep it, because it is "true." I highly doubt it was because of "lazy" editing. I believe it was purposeful.
I don't think we need to keep it, I just don't think the statement was motivated by President Kimball's racism.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #46
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree with Noah and disagree with you, having conversed with some of the editors. I vote for lazy editing.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree with Noah and disagree with you, having conversed with some of the editors. I vote for lazy editing.
Then write in and ask them to edit the dang thing.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #48
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Could be lazy editing, could be a couple dumb people with an axe to grind combined with some lazy editing.

I wouldn't include it in a church manual, and I wouldn't use it in a lesson even though it was in the manual. I teach every week and only use that manual to give me the lesson topic and some ideas on which scriptures to cover.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #49
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Could be lazy editing, could be a couple dumb people with an axe to grind combined with some lazy editing.

I wouldn't include it in a church manual, and I wouldn't use it in a lesson even though it was in the manual. I teach every week and only use that manual to give me the lesson topic and some ideas on which scriptures to cover.
I wouldn't use it in my lesson because I don't think it's a very imporrant point and there really isn't much follow up discussion in the manual.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Power to the people, write in and ask them to change it. Why put in such a highly contentious statement of questionable value, in a church that gets labeled racist?