cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
As much as SU's appeal to Mussolini was over the top, the desire to turn control of one's decisions over to another, "to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us" (Foucault, 1983, p. xiii) is fascist. It is also, I think, Oedipal.

All of a sudden, homosexuality's relationship to the Oedipal makes sense.
It wasn't over the top. Intense longing and nostalgia for the past, a sense of self steeped in a highly mythologized past, a chauvenistic sense that only those sharing a common heritage are elect in some sense, a welcoming of authoritarianism as a means to achieving a highly idealized society in conformance with the ultra conservative vision, a sacrificing even of offspring to maintenance of the greater authority (of course, since one's whole sense of self derives from the greater authority), are all hallmarks of fascism.

This is why "Islamofascism" is a very precise epithet. I have no doubt that if America were a Mormon theocracy the September Six would have been shot and buried in a common grave and we'd all be risking our lives and liberty right now. Fascism is really the oldest, and most enduring form of authoritarianism. You are seeing a re-emergence of it right now in Russia. Tragically, Solghenytzin turned out not to be a lover of liberty but a fascist (fascism and communism get along like cats and dogs, which makes a lot of sense, but that's a subject for another day). Fascism is what is holding China together right now, and its dark impulses are now being stirred by the pagentry of the Chinese Olympics.

It isn't a coincidence that the LDS Conference Center looks like it was designed by Alber Speer.

See Downfall for a popular primer on the allure and effects of fascim. If Mormonism suffered its Gotterdamerung I'm sure many would choose to be immolated with the greater authority.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #32
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It wasn't over the top. Intense longing and nostalgia for the past, a sense of self steeped in a highly mythologized past, a chauvenistic sense that only those sharing a common heritage are elect in some sense, a welcoming of authoritarianism as a means to achieving a highly idealized society in conformance with the ultra conservative vision, a sacrificing even of offspring to maintenance of the greater authority (of course, since one's whole sense of self derives from the greater authority), are all hallmarks of fascism.

This is why "Islamofascism" is a very precise epithet. I have no doubt that if America were a Mormon theocracy the September Six would have been shot and buried in a common grave and we'd all be risking our lives and liberty right now. Fascism is really the oldest, and most enduring form of authoritarianism. You are seeing a re-emergence of it right now in Russia. Tragically, Solghenytzin turned out not to be a lover of liberty but a fascist (fascism and communism get along like cats and dogs, which makes a lot of sense, but that's a subject for another day). Fascism is what is holding China together right now, and its dark impulses are now being stirred by the pagentry of the Chinese Olympics.

It isn't a coincidence that the LDS Conference Center looks like it was designed by Alber Speer.

See Downfall for a popular primer on the allure and effects of fascim. If Mormonism suffered its Gotterdamerung I'm sure many would choose to be immolated with the greater authority.
TIC

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #33
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

"As Church members decide their own appropriate level of involvement in protecting marriage between a man and a woman, they should approach this issue with respect for others, understanding, honesty, and civility. "

Isn't this section from the statement basically saying that individual Church members have a right to abstain from campaigning for Proposition 8 and they shouldn't be hassled by other members for this? That's how I read it.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
"As Church members decide their own appropriate level of involvement in protecting marriage between a man and a woman, they should approach this issue with respect for others, understanding, honesty, and civility. "

Isn't this section from the statement basically saying that individual Church members have a right to abstain from campaigning for Proposition 8 and they shouldn't be hassled by other members for this? That's how I read it.
Yes. Or at least this is how I read it, too.

In that spirit, I do sincerely apologize if I have not been civil during this discussion....Indy, Tex, BDB. Sorry. It is nothing personal against any of you, of course. I messed up. No excuses.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #35
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
With all the time and research going into these Prop 8 communications, I have noticed a suspicious absence of any data on the effect of homosexual marriage in Massachusetts...where it has been legal now for several years.

In fact, the only reference to Mass. has been the misleading adoption issue.

Does anybody know if, as some have claimed here and elsewhere, children in Mass public schools are now being indoctrinated with homosexuality? Has there been a rise of teens coming out of the closet? Has society in Mass. crumbled? What exactly has happened there that we can safely assume will also happen in California and elsewhere?
this was my thought as i read through this bulletin. I've been to Mass. since marrital rights were extended to all people, and i was there before.

i could tell no discrenible difference. then again, i guess i didn't go into their schools to hear all of the homosexual propoganda being shoved down the throats of the children that the bulletin predicts. that's a snide comment because i know that isn't what the church is really saying, but it's not far from the truth the church is arguing with this parade of horribles they have presented regarding the divine institution of marriage.

a good friend of mine who worked for the Catholic Charities, and they confirmed to me that ddd is right on the reason for them not doing adoptions.

also, i think that SU is right that the elephant in the room is not being addressed. the church is a bit passive aggressive with this issue - they talk about sin, but never come out and say that all of these homosexuals and lesbians are dirty sinners. that's what they want to say, but they also want to make statements about compassion and tolerance (watered way way way down, though)!

i don't think that any gay member of the church, or gay right's group, is seriously thinking that they can get the government to force gay temple marriages. that is absurd.

the parade of horribles argument is much too speculative for me and nothing in that letter has made me change my mind.

As for the letter from the First Presidency, here is a quote: "We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman. Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage."

The use of the words "all you can" "to assure" "best efforts are required" make me think the church wants to mandate this effort, but just won't come out and say it.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #36
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A serious discussion with you? Do you have a link pointing me to one in which you have engaged?

I am waiting for you to drop another "fag" bomb on the group this morning. I am sure your dad would be proud.
Quote:
Yes. Or at least this is how I read it, too.

In that spirit, I do sincerely apologize if I have not been civil during this discussion....Indy, Tex, BDB. Sorry. It is nothing personal against any of you, of course. I messed up. No excuses.
The "fag bomb" was not intended as an actual slur against you. It was just a joke given the topic of that particular thread and the "lather" comments.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #37
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post

My hope is that is what they think. but, it does say "level of involvement" which makes me think that the church won't accept no involvement as a response to their efforts.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #38
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The "fag bomb" was not intended as an actual slur against you. It was just a joke given the topic of that particular thread and the "lather" comments.
bull shit, indy. you're a homophobe but don't want to admit it. it was very distasteful.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
bull shit, indy. you're a homophobe but don't want to admit it. it was very distasteful.
Piss off, you Ute wanker.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #40
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Piss off, you Ute wanker.
nice job handling the truth. you're like my 7 year old.