cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #131
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't have compassion for those persons, but I wager God does.
Does mercy rob justice? Does there need to be justice first before mercy can be extended?

I have no doubt that God has more compassion for heinous sinners than the rest of us do, but I'm not sure how that fact causes him to not require formal sanctions against those within the church that have greviously sinned.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #132
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Does mercy rob justice? Does there need to be justice first before mercy can be extended?

I have no doubt that God has more compassion for heinous sinners than the rest of us do, but I'm not sure how that fact causes him to not require formal sanctions against those within the church that have greviously sinned.

I am familiar with traditional, orthodox, Mormon expositions on the subject, and perhaps things are as black and white as such argument portray the eternities, but in reality I would not be the least surprised if there aren't a few surprises in store for us.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #133
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I am familiar with traditional, orthodox, Mormon expositions on the subject, and perhaps things are as black and white as such argument portray the eternities, but in reality I would not be the least surprised if there aren't a few surprises in store for us.

If we have been keeping accounts in order to see if we are surprised, I suspect we will be even more surprised than we expected.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #134
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

If Joseph Smith received a revelation saying that serious sinners had to run around the block naked in a snowstorm three times to receive forgiveness from the church, then we would now be arguing over that instead of excommunication. Tex would be making the same argument that because it is God's policy, it is the only way. Excommunication is arbitrary. There is nothing inherently vital about it, other than it's an official church policy. Heinous sinners will not escape justice or the serious consequences for their sins, no matter if they are excommunicated or not.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #135
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If Joseph Smith received a revelation saying that serious sinners had to run around the block naked in a snowstorm three times to receive forgiveness from the church, then we would now be arguing over that instead of excommunication. Tex would be making the same argument that because it is God's policy, it is the only way. Excommunication is arbitrary. There is nothing inherently vital about it, other than it's an official church policy.
Wrong. I view it as neither arbitrary nor perfunctory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Heinous sinners will not escape justice or the serious consequences for their sins, no matter if they are excommunicated or not.
Which is why discipline is not about exacting justice.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote